Best Kayak playboat conversions?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

(O)C

Best Kayak playboat conversions?

Post by (O)C »

Lots of used kayaks out there- wondering which boats would make the best conversion for playboating (180lb paddler).

Looking at:

Wave sport transformer- short wide and flat, may be hard to roll..
Liquidlogic Space Cadet: paddled one and had a blast..

Any ideas???
OC.
AYockey
C Guru

LIQUIDLOGIC

Post by AYockey »

Loving my session, and love all LL boats c or k
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

I paddled a converted Wave sport transformer once and I agree that it is short and wide and flat thus it was very slow, very stable, and very loose. It was also fast and easy to roll. My biggest concern with such a craft would be speed.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Robson Twintip
(For a playboat) very Stable, silly Loose, extremely Fast on the waves, Great volume distribution (stern is slicey though)

Craig
pete witucki
c

Post by pete witucki »

I've just converted a WaveSport EZ. I'm 145lbs and it works great for me so far- stable yet real "easy" to throw down. (You may want to consider the larger models: big/super EZ.) Pretty fast too.

-pete
mshelton
CBoats Addict

Post by mshelton »

I just converted a Super EZ myself :D
I really like it, the cockpit has mad room, it's almost like a Skeeter or Quake. My thighs don't even touch the rim and I'm 6'5". I'm able to bow stall it and do some squirts, this is my first short playboat so that's an accomplishment for me. The boat is definately stable at 27" wide.
wayne

Post by wayne »

I have a Liquidlogic Space Cadet and it is great, slow but fast on the waves. It's still to quick for me in a hole cartwheeling, but that's mostly from lack of time playing in a hole. Just don't try to paddle against the flow to much, even boil's stop me and send me around the out side of them. But over all a great play boat.

Wayne
Perception AMP
kneeler
C Guru

1 vote for Riot boats

Post by kneeler »

I like te way that Riot boats convert.

I think the Air and the Disco are probably my favorites.
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

plastic thoughts

Post by Mike W. »

At 180, you may want to think about a Big EZ. I've been in the 185-190 range lately & the boat is a good fit for me. I can bow stall & stern squirt on flatwater. It's the slowest thing I've ever paddled. It's also the easiest boat I've tried to roll. This boat loves a steep wave :D . The toughest water I've paddled with it is the Ocoee (upper & middle). It did fine, but I would have liked a little more speed. I'll stick with my Viper for big stuff like the Gauley :P .

I also have a Perception AMP. I'm a little on the heavy side for it. It's not quite as slow as the Big EZ due to extra length & less width. It does not carve as well on a wave though. It has less bow rocker than the Big EZ so you have to keep an eye out to prevent pearling while surfing.

I recently tried a Liquid Logic Session. I'm too heavy for it :-? . It's real narrow, which makes it a little tippy. The narrowness also helps speed. It didn't seem any slower than the Big EZ which suprized me. This boat also likes a steep wave. I'd like to try a Session +.

Look at Wavesport, Liquid Logic & Perception for nice wide cockpit openings 8) . Riot & Necky openings narrow where your thighs need to be. For those boats you may want to stretch the opening a little, unless you can stand a short seat that will keep your thighs under the deck.
Boise Bob
Pain Boater

Robson

Post by Boise Bob »

I have a Robson NRG the is awesome in the hole. It's very short and slow, making it tough to get into those big wave/holes in the middle of the river. The Robson TwinTip is a bit longer and would be my conversion choice.

However, I will soon be a proud owner of a WheelBoy C1 playboat -- convert no more!
C1 Throwdown--Ride'm Cowboy!
Kevin
C Guru

Post by Kevin »

New liquidlogic vision 54 is soon to be within my grasp.
Drop Waterfalls, Not Bombs

c-1 conversions

Post by Guest »

I have an old prijon slalom t, i stumbled upon it in a garage, would it be a suitable boat to try to outfit as a c-1, or is it a hopeless attempt. Are ther are certain minimum widths that one has to consider, or as long as i can get my self in and out, and hip pads to keep me in am i good? As of the moment, im thinking it might be fun to be a decked boater for the winter.
well, good day, and goood paddling
-isaac
willlyons

Post by willlyons »

Kevin, did you win the LL video contest thing?
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Isaac,
don't even think about it.
Larry
Kevin
C Guru

Post by Kevin »

Will, Ya i sure did, i was the videographer for "The Urban Kayaker"
we didn't come 1st, but i get VIP pricing, which is still an awesome deal on a new vision 54
Drop Waterfalls, Not Bombs