Slick-Stick seat -how do you take it out?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

SlickStick
C Boater

Slick-Stick seat -how do you take it out?

Post by SlickStick »

i'm having loads of trouble trying to remove the kayak seat in my slick-stick so i can start converting it.

Does anyone know of an easy way to take it out?

thanks

Peter
RodeoClown

Drag it out kicking and screaming

Post by RodeoClown »

The Slick-Sticks had two different seat- the old one (same as the flip-stick seat, with mounting bolts on the deck) and the new one (same as the RAD with bolts on the side of the boat) I imagine that you've got the old one (which is a shame, because the hull stiffener that comes with the new seat is ideal for setting up a c-boat), since the it's a pain in the butt to pull out compaired to the new one.

Here are some tips:
1: take out the thighbraces- You'll be doing it anyway, and it makes some more room for getting the seat out.

2: after taking out the bolts the hold the seat in, you should be able to slide the seat front and knock the back wall out of the slot in the seat. Then slide the seat back and knock out the front wall. (Or maybe you do the front first, I can't remember). It usually takes some twisting/pushing/kicking of the walls...

3: Now that the seat is free from the walls, angle the seat in the boat, so that one seat pillar is farther back. The idea at this point is to rotate this seat pillar and the back of the seat up and out of the boat. I seem to remember that it works best if you try to pull the seat pillar up right behind the thighbrace mounting tab. It takes a lot of pulling/cursing to force the seat pillar past the cockpit rim.

This is all from memory, I haven't done it in a while, so I hope this makes sense. It takes a good bit of force to do.

Good Luck
Jeremy
SlickStick
C Boater

Post by SlickStick »

Hi
thanks for the reply, i have just managed to take the seat out, i think my seat is the new one where it bolts in from the sides onto a metal rail so you can adjust it easily.

I took a look at the hull stiffener and it looks very sturdy too.

Has anyone converted a slick-stick before? if so, what sort of set-up did you find works best?

Thanks

Peter