C1 blades, what do people recommend?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

SlickStick
C Boater

C1 blades, what do people recommend?

Post by SlickStick »

Hi
Im looking to buy a new composite paddle for playboating.
What do people recommend?

Thanks

Peter
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Post by Bruce Farrenkopf »

Peter,
The Werner Bandit is an excellent blade.
Bruce
willlyons

Post by willlyons »

mitchell premier...carbon blade wood shaft...oh so sweet...
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Galasport Demon
Larry
SlickStick
C Boater

Post by SlickStick »

thanks for the replies

I was looking at the bandit, the spider paddles blade or the robson blade. Is the bandit good in both glass and carbon? as i am not sure if i can stretch my budget enough to get the carbon one.
I have heard rumours that the glass ones have a habit of delaminating, is this true?

Also, has anyone used the Robson C1 Rodeo or the spider paddles blade? If so, how do you find them?

Thanks again

Peter
Drew W. (on campus)

Post by Drew W. (on campus) »

my outdoor program at school has a few werner kayak paddles with the glass blades and they have started to delaminate, I can only assume that the kayak and canoe glass blades are made the same way
I've got a friend here with a werner carbon bandit and he's been pretty happy with it
Jan_dettmer
CBoats Addict

Post by Jan_dettmer »

...Robson C1 Rodeo.
very light, nice narrow shoulders, slices.
All around a sweet paddle :-); my favorite (yes, I tried a few)
Very tough so far.

Jan
Is there something like an expert kayaker?
http://www.bc-ww.com
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Depends...

Post by Sir Adam »

Galasport makes some SWEET paddles that are durable...but I've been using a Rough Stuff Savage C1 paddle that is light and so far undestructable. Water feel is not as good as the Galasport, but between the weight and durability I think it's a great paddle.

I'd like to try one of the Robson paddles...sounds nice! I'd also like to try one of the ZRE paddles designed by Harold Deal...anyone have one yet?
Keep the C!
Adam
PAC guest

backlund paddles of the canoe varity...

Post by PAC guest »

Funny thing happen today (since this thread popped up), Keith called me, at work no less, to let me know he just received 30 carbon shafts for his new stick (designed off of the Vikings). And should finished 2 to ship out early next week.
I'll try to get over to his shop to check them out over the next couple weeks.
Design - Wood straight blade with carbon shaft.
He said he's working on a curved blade as well - I guess he's working on selling me too!
Anyway the price stated was $150.
PM me if you want his number or want a photo (he doesn't have any so I'll take a couple pictures).
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Post by Bruce Farrenkopf »

Peter,
I've had four Werners and have not seen delamination. They are tough and light and look good too. I especially like the laminated wooden T-grip, a nice touch.
SYOTR,
Bruce
bearboater
CBoats Addict

werner delams

Post by bearboater »

I have a werner bandit, and i have put over 900 miles on the blade. Finally, i have seen some delamination at the corner. Though i have decided to try to get some epoxy in the blade, in an attempt to stop the delamination. though i am in the market for a new mitchell premier. but the werner definetely served me well for a 700 mile trip on the back river in rough conditions.
werner, or mitchell, grey owl(stout and cheap). all good

-isaac
boater x

boatin

Post by boater x »

Galasport 3M is an awesome paddle, everyone who picks it up says "wow, this is light" but it doesnt come cheap. im coming up on a year with it. amazingly i found that when i stopped using it to pole off rocks so much, the blades on my paddles mysteriously held up 90% better! hmm . . .
Alden
SlickStick
C Boater

Post by SlickStick »

Hi
Thanks for the replies, i think i am going to have a really good look at the bandit.

Thanks again

Peter
bearboater
CBoats Addict

carbon bandit

Post by bearboater »

i think the carbon bandits might hold up better as far as the delamination goes, and mind you, i put 700 river tripping including upstream, and shallow miles on mine, and then just recently started to see the delamination. its a sweet paddle, and the price tag is a plus, considering the fact that it is125 for the glass, and 175 for the all carbon. but they do feel good, and i have a bit of flex in the glass shaft, you can notice it in a really strong forward stroke, not much, but a little give in the shaft.
-isaac
pete witucki
c

Post by pete witucki »

I've been using a Waterstick Karma for almost a season. It's worn a bit at the bottom edge, and I've recently noticed the end of the T-grip has started wiggling. I think I like the blade design though.. feels solid. Anyone have similar experiences?

However, Waterstick (under Baycomp) has apparently ceased production, but it sounds like AT (Adventure Technology) might be picking up the line...

-pete
K-2-C