Double Trouble-Ocoee line

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Wendy

Double Trouble-Ocoee line

Post by Wendy »

Does anyone take the left line down DT from the last eddy? Most recent runs done the meat and river right have resulted in 2 swims, but previously just went through the meat upright. I eddy hop on river left as far as possible. Thanks for any help/feedback.
tablesaw

boatin

Post by tablesaw »

can you actually sneak down the left side? I dont think there is anyway to go left of the meat at Double Trouble. I would think river right would be the sneak route. Do you mean Double Suck (the one with the sticky pourover at the bottom and the creeky sneak on the left?)

- Boater who has not paddled Ocoee in too long
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I'm sure there are more expert Ocoee paddlers than I, but what I remember is that you can run Double Suck on the left, angled left with some speed and you land in the eddie. Also, there is that handy sneak on the left of the rock - honestly, the last time I ran that is because I was trying to boat scout the drop (wouldn't want to trample the trillium) and I slipped backwards down the sneak...
pete witucki
c

Post by pete witucki »

Yup, you can sneak Double Suck on the left (river right of the rock). I suppose one could sneak the meat of Double Trouble on the left, but not as nicely as the right and with less success. Perhaps they could have thought of names that better differentiate the two successive drops...

-pete
K-2-C
Wendy

Double Trouble question not DS

Post by Wendy »

Thanks! Last time I tried to run far right I ended up hitting mutiple diagonals and the big wave holes. I have made it through the meat multiple times till recently. Thanks for the feedback. I savor the 10 good runs to the 2 swims.

Post by Guest »

Pete,

Double Suck use to be called "Heroes Right, Turkeys Left" until the commercial rafters hit the scene. They changed the name to Double Suck because the back of the raft gets sucked down twice. Also, Broken Nose use to be called "Vegematic". :D

Jim[/quote]
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Ocoee

Post by chuck naill »

Wendy,

I have run Double Trouble about every which way I can think of just to keep it interesting. Coming into the rapid from the left provides some great eddy hopping and there is a way at higher flows to avoid the "meat". At the normal 2004 flows it gets a little scrappy. The easiest for me is to run straight down the middle. I have also tried the far right, but again the rocks make it a little hard on the boats. Since the Ocoee is run as much as it is, there are many additional routes that have been sought out just to avoid the rafts. A raft quide showed me an interesting way to come into Table Saw from far river right and avoid the top hole completily if that is what you would like to do.

Good Paddling

Chuck/Knoxville
Wendy

Double Trouble

Post by Wendy »

Thanks Chuck. The middle has been the best for me too.