Renaissance

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Alden Bird

Renaissance

Post by Alden Bird »

I feel that it is good to acknowledge what a good place we are at in the canoe world right now. This year alone we have seen the production of the Esquif Taureau, the Robson Finkenmeister and now the Drakkar Wheelboy. Sure, Dagger no longer makes canoes, but Esquif now makes the Spark.

To display how times change, I would like to repost the following. I hope the author doesn't mind :wink: It really shows how far we have come since 1996-7.

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/oldaw ... etter1.htm

"C-1ers will probably have to look beyond Dagger for innovative new boats. Fortunately, there are a number of other excellent manufacturers who can potentially do a fine job."

And so we have seen - the first c-1 playboat ever and the first c-1 creek boat in 10 years have both come from small companies.

Always interesting to look back - and forward.

Alden
Jim
C Guru

Yeah, but...

Post by Jim »

Now what we really need is a new book on rivers and creeks in the northeast. Maybe even from a canoer's perspective. I sure wish someone would write one.

Jim
Jim
racer x

boatin

Post by racer x »

There is a guidebook on the way. I'm going to post a random, sample passage:

"The Farmington River through New Hartford is an excellent flatwater paddle that often raises an intense thirst in one's mouth. As a result, we normally beach our boats and hop out at Jim's house - where we proceed to raid his fridge. If he is not home, he usually keeps the spare key under the doormat near the garage. Additionally, the handles on his counter drawers can be handy beer bottle openers. Remember to lock the door behind you. Oh, and if you see Jim's wife, RUN!"

Guidebooks should aim to be informative.

Alden
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Now THAT'S what I call informative :P

We need a guidebook like that for the SouthEast :D
Jim
C Guru

Farmington

Post by Jim »

All is true except the part about the key- the back door that is a few steps from the river is NEVER locked. So if Alden is back in Connecticut for the holidays he should drop in to raid the fridge.

Rain this week means I am off to play on the river today.

Jim
Jim
kaz

Post by kaz »

Jim,
I really like drinking your beer. I'll be right ovah.
JKaz
Jim
C Guru

Beer

Post by Jim »

Kaz:

You just like drinking beer.

Period.

Of course, you are always welcome to mine, especially right before a race.
Jim