Sturgeon Falls

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

CraigS

Sturgeon Falls

Post by CraigS »

:lol: Any c-boaters hang ever go up to or Sturgeon Falls for surf sessions? I might try to organize (ha ha ha) a little c-mada for this summer. Any info is appreciated.

Craig Smerda

Post by Guest »

I assume you are referring to the Sturgeon Falls on the Winnipeg River. A buddy and I paddled there two years ago. Fantastic spot but cold (the end of September). Some good pictures and info at:

http://www.kayakmind.com/Manitoba_plays ... geon_Falls

http://wavpaddling.ca/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=2

It may not be the best spot for an open boat - I had more fun in a decked boat (redline C-1) than he did in his open boat (Skeeter )- filled up with water he had to work alot harder - and he is a much better paddler than I am. Also, I would not recommend surfing in the main flow for anyone without a bomb-proof roll - either that or have a rescue motor boat on stand by. A swim of truly epic proportions would be possible (likely) - the flow takes you out into the middle of a big lake. There was also a side channel with smaller features and closer to shore (we were there at a moderately low level) which might work at some levels for less experienced boaters.

Hutch
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

8) ..it looks like we might make this gathering happen in late June or early July. C1... OC1 doesn't matter. If enough folks are interested there might a motorboat rented for shuttling gear, people and boats... and swimmers. This piece of water is referred to as mini-lachine. Should be fun!
yarnellboat

seriously, in Manitoba?

Post by yarnellboat »

Are you serious? Manitoba? I'll be checking this post . . . I'm originally from Winnipeg and would love to check this place out. I know some of the guys (kayakers) who are involved with WAV or WW Maintoba (site/forum on above link), and they've started to organize a festival of some kind in June/July, maybe a bunch of c-boaters could crash their party?

I'm not a big-water playboater, but a trip to Sturgeon Falls would be a good excuse to get in a C-1 and give it a whirl, so to speak.

Pat.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

I'm a local (within 60 miles of sturgeon falls) single blader that hangs a bit at sturgeon falls. Only a couple of C1ers around. Definitely a great spot to surf and good spot to learn if you already have a roll. Best for decked canoes.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CraigS

Post by CraigS »

:lol: 8) When is the "festival" style gathering? I may "try" to get some manufacturer's, boats, and paddlers there....
yarnellboat

Post by yarnellboat »

Craig,

Check out the Manitoba Whitewater forum at http://wavpaddling.ca/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=2
It's full of Sturgeon info/threads. Get in touch with "Jahla" (Jamie Hilland) who I believe organized last year's "ShinDig"). I'll give him a head's up that some c-boaters are interested in Sturgeon.

I don't remember whether last year was their 1st or 2nd event, I seem to recall some last minute panic & debat about organization and insurance etc. But I know they pulled something off. Either way, that site would be the place to look for local paddling partners, but mostly kayakers. Maybe Paddle Power knows more?

Patrick Yarnell.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

From the site:

"The Fifth Annual MWC SHINDIGGGG will be held on June 17th, 18th and 19th, 2005 at Cook's Falls, Manitoba.

The tentative schedule of events is this so far:

Friday, June 17th:
-Arrive afternoon/early evening. Set up camp when it's light out.
-Head to Sturgeon @ or around 7 PM.
-Twilight Paddle until dark. It's one of the longest days of the year, so let's enjoy it, and hit up Sturgeon until we can't see.

Saturday, June 18th.
-River Run down the Whitemouth, starting at 10 AM SHARP!!!! River guides will be assigned to help shepard beginners downstream safely.
-Lunch at Cook's when River RUn completed.
-Head to Whitemud or Sturgeon for the afternoon. Location dependent on water levles.
-Dinner at Jennifer's.
-Saturday night Grand Soiree, with DJ B-Mac spinnin the vinyl. Big Ol party on down in the barn.
-Big Air bike competition, shenanigans of all kinds.
-Beefcake competition cancelled due to judges taking competiton seriously!!!
-Minors to retire before 10 PM!!!!

Sunday, June 19th.
-Wake up when cobwebs clear from head.
-Head to Sturgeon for "Brass Ones" competetion (teams of two will take a fully outfitted OC2 down Sturgeon, and see who can hit the meatiest line!!!)
-Paddle til we canna no more.
-Head home in evening with a warm glow of a great weekend!!!!

As always, we are open to suggestions, so if you have ideas, let us know via the boards!!!!
Book it now, and let's make this one even bigger and better than the last!!!!!

Cheers,

We'd love to have some more Cboaters!! Craig, if you plan on making the trip north feel free to email me directly, bjohnston@lssd.ca
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CraigS

Post by CraigS »

:o...yeah! can I bring a boogie board too? it's a riot Alice!

I've been having a blast on them with fins in the rivers....dress warm though I'm bettin'! :P
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

:D We are finally going July 22-23.... I have such limited vacation time left this year that I can only take Friday off... but I'm looking forward to surfing my frickin' brains out up there. There will be at least two of us if not a few more. I've been looking forward to checking this place out for a while... hope some of you can join us!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Craig,

There are a couple of C1ers in Winnipeg (literally: 2, Gerry and Brian), you should try to hook up with those locals &/or friends (Paddle Power?), the kayakers at that Manitoba Whitewater site may also be interested in getting out and showing you around.

Have fun (and if kayakers Jamie or Mick come out, try to get them in your C1, or better - an OC! I used to canoe trip with them before they became kayakin' big-wave playboat freaks. Shame on them, they were perfectly good canoeists)!

P.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Well... How did Manitoba treat you?

P.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Well :D ............... what can I say :wink: ?

First of all I would like to thank the locals up there for sharing this place and not keeping it a big secret..... and going out of there way to help us out.... first rate!!

This is by far the best place I have ever seen if you want to surf big :o powerful :o water.... period. I have never been to Lachines or Habitat but according to individuals (kayakers) that have, this place is right on par or better.

The level was a "bit" :o on the high side (70-80,000cfs) and some wild things happen (whirlpools, crazy eddy lines, and the potential to swim a half-mile into the lake) if your not on your game, but it is soooooooooo :D worth it. Rides from 5-20 minutes are about average and there is a wave to play for all skills. We didn't even see what it normally looks like (which is even better I'm told) when the levels are normal. This place is freakin' Candyland. I can assure you that I will be making many trips to Sturgeon next season and if I'm lucky we might go again this year. I also had a 10 minute boogie board thrill ride :D

I would even take it upon myself to organize a little C-mada on any specific weekend next year if enough folks are interested... start looking into flights for Winnipeg Manitoba Canada if you don't want to drive. Also stop by the locals message board http://www.wavpaddling.ca/phpBB2/index.php for a look at some photos and videos to get a look into this awesome place.

Truly phenomenal :D :D :D

If you saw my post about surf-kayak specific conversions this would be the place to use one.... lots of green water that a fast boat could have shredded.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Pictures added... thanks Adam!

There are some nice photo's of normal flow http://www.rapidsriders.net/gallery/sturgeon05

This one should win some kind of award http://www.rapidsriders.net/gallery/sturgeon05/00139_G
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Awesome shots. Awesome waves. Sure do wish I were there :P