What white water freestyle OC1s are poeple using

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Jamie Burbeck

What white water freestyle OC1s are poeple using

Post by Jamie Burbeck »

Hi there,

OC1 freestyle is beginning to start to make a come back slightly over here in the UK and I was just wondering what Freestyle Oc1s people were using elsewhere in the world.

Over here we have a load of SpanishFlys and a couple of CU Flys and I was just wondering what else there is out there that we just don't hear about in the UK.

Craig, what are you going to be paddling out in OZ? I am taking my trusty SpanishFly out with me but I heard a rummor that you were in one of the new Esquif boats (is this the taureu?). I guess Eli still has a SpanishFly, I haven't heard from him in ages. It'll be good to meet up with a new face and go for a few beers. Anyway I look forward to meeting up with all the OC1 paddlers out at the Worlds in OZ. I will see you all there.

Jamie Burbeck (GBR Team)

Website - http://www.openplayboater.co.uk

Post by Guest »

I have just bought my new Wheelboy. I am going to try it only next week but it already looks terrific. It seems it will be sold in UK too. It is so much different from what I have been using so far that I cannot wait to take it to the water. BTW I am located in Germany.
jpm370
C Boater

OC-1

Post by jpm370 »

if you are looking to buy a new OC-1 Esquif may have something new in its line up this spring, in the 6ft range called the Salsa
"Now i know the secret of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth."
-Walt Whitman
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Jamie,

I'm looking forward to meeting your guys over there. Eli and I have been friends for quite a while and he always has good things to ay about our friends from across the pond. I hope you enjoy beer!.... (a top secret competition tactic)

I will be paddling a CUFly at the worlds. Robson has helped me with boats for a few years now and they are a good group of folks. I have been using the CU for play since the first one came across a few years back.

Mark has sent me recent pics of the Salsa and we bounced ideas back and forth this fall about what another OC Design might need that other designs don't do or have. It should really be a good class over there.

These days the SpanishFly is pretty much my riverrunning/creek boat unless there is a huge feature I want to play. It's ironic that like the kayaks I have made what was the newest playboat from only a few years ago my river cruiser... it's still a great boat, but the CU does tricks so much faster and believe it or not.. drier.

(I also started C1ing again.. which is good training for OC Play). See you in a few weeks! Stay in touch!

Craig

PS> Is James bringing that chopped up Spanishfly? Funky!
Jamie Burbeck

Post by Jamie Burbeck »

Craig,

James is bringing his chopped up spanishfly (he's named it the uberfly) and is currently out in NZ river running in it. It'll be interesting to see what the salsa looks like out in OZ it sounds pretty interesting. Anyway I will see you in a few weeks, hope you have a good trip out.

Jamie
Al Greve

Post by Al Greve »

Its pretty cool whats been happening with the openboats these days. Paul spent me some pics of the Salsa....way too cool ! I should have my Taureau as soon as Mark gets back from Down-under. But I don`t think theres a Salsa for me unless I sell my C1, just too many boats ! :cry:

Al
CraigS

Post by CraigS »

..if I ever get technically advanced enough to post video's online Dale Perry shot some awesome footage of Mark, Eli (C1's) and myself (OC1) at Garb. this fall...it was a big pile with the fastest water coming in I've seen in a while... still makes me smile everytime I watch it. Good Stuff! These boats we are using are amazing... :D

craig
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

:o Well I can finally let the cat out of the bag! Eli Helbert will be paddling for Team Esquif in the Salsa at the Worlds. He will also be repping for them in the eastern US this coming year... so if you see a trailer full of canoes and a man with a big beard behind the steering wheel flag him down. Congrat's Eli & Esquif!

Craig

Countdown to leave... 5 days!

Hours of outfitting to do on the CUFly.. countless!
Jim
C Guru

Good luck

Post by Jim »

Good luck down under- we are cheering for you!
Jim
Wendy

The Southeastern folks wish you well Craig- and Eli

Post by Wendy »

Have fun!
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

I wish you guys good luck down underas well, although I have to admit that I hope that our fellow Canadians Paul Danks, Mark Scriver (OC1), Tim Davis and Michael Lamarche (C1) will prevail in the end:wink: !
Does anyone have a picture of the Esquif Salsa?

martin
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
NEOC Slalom Rules
C Guru

Post by NEOC Slalom Rules »

My best wishes to Team North America as well. Lets see - an Irishman (Eli) paddling for the US in French Canadian made and English/French Canadian designed Salsa. I think that qualifies as a melting pot. And a well practiced Englishman as well to help show the Ozmen how to drink beer and paddle. May you all have the best rides of your lives and then push it a little further.

Pat Cleary - the Irishman Eli had to remind of the Rovers best lyrics.

"And me be'in strictly neutral, I bashed everyone in sight."
Open Boat/Open Mind
CraigS

Post by CraigS »

:( ...as the second oldest member of the USTeam (EJ is older) I guess that makes me VP of the US Old Fart Squad.... sigh!

Pat... I hope your passing some of that Irish luck along to us.. just don't rub your schelele' (sp?)
willlyons

Post by willlyons »

Hey Craig, good luck down under man! If you would like, I will talk to my ol' buddy Dale and see if he could do something about putting some of that footage up on here if he still has it. Good luck and have fun.
will
CraigS

Post by CraigS »

..hey Will!!!

There is a fun shot at Hole Bros. on Dales footage that has you and Eli in at the same time... then you toss a "p-h-a-t" loop in Teals boat... good stuff!

Craig

PS> How's Marks liver?