Bilge pump

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

keez
C Guru

Bilge pump

Post by keez »

I'm looking to either build (preferable) or buy a bilge pump system for my Nitro.
Can anyone provide an insight to the best set-up or system to get?
Your input will be greatly appreciated.

By the way, thanks to the "board" for advise on the ABS repairs for the chines, it worked well, and the price was right.

Geoff
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Geoff,

I used the following in my Prelude:

- Attwood V1250 (1250 GPH) bilge pump, ~CAN$45 at Canadian Tire. I heard CT recently switched supplier of their bilge pump, just make sure you get something with a similar, if not bigger GPH rating.
- Toggle switch with dust boot from CT, ~Can$5
- Yuasa 12V 4 Ah lead acid gel battery, bought it through work from Newark, ~CAN$25. I heard that home alarm systems use similar batteries.
- Waterproof case (for the battery) from MEC ~CAN$25
- Hose that fits the pump
- Water proof 2 wire trailer hitch connectors from CT

Install the pump in the boat, however you see fit. I use double sided carpet tape, most people who purt them into RX hulls seem to use d-rins and strap the pump as well as the battery box down.
Install the switch into the water proof box (drill a hole for the switch as well as for the wiring). I use Automotive Goop from CT as a sealant, works like a charm.
Install a connector into the wiring between the pump and the battery/switch box, this way you can also, if you buy a plug that fits into your cars cigarette lighter and fit the other end with a matching connector, Connect the battery to your car and charge it on your way to the river.
Attach the hose to the pump route the other end over the board of the boat wherever you see fit. And you are done!

martin
Last edited by the great gonzo on Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
keez
C Guru

Bilge Pump

Post by keez »

Thanks Martin,
I was looking at the CT option last weekend.
They now only carry an 1100 GPH pump, may go to a marine store.
Regarding the battery; don't the lead acid batteries weigh a fair bit ? I was trying to source a lithium ion battery.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

The Yuasa NP4-12 lead acid battery, as I am using it, weighs ~3.8 lbs, less than 2kg. A similar capacity setup with lithiun ion batteries will cost you at least CAN$150, and probably still weigh around 2lbs or 1kg (never really looked into it) and I don't know if you can charge it as easily as the lead acid one, so you may also have to get a charger for this on.
The weight gain of maybe 2 lbs is not really worth the extra cost, imho.
You could also simply go to a lower capacity battery and save weight that way, however I had a smaller capacity one myself initially and it always ran out of juice prematurely if I did a lot of playing on the Ottawa.
The 4 Ah battery easily lasts through a full weekend of paddling.

martin
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
yukon

Post by yukon »

Batteries are an interesting topic. Lead Acid is old tecnology and very rugged- but you do have potential for battery acid in your boat if something happens or they vent. Small ones are easy to overcharge if you put too much into them.
NiCAd can take lots of abuse and handle overdischarge and overcharging better than others. cheaper and more chargers are available.
NiMh are coming a long way- more capacity per weight and you will need a specific charger.
LiIOn- has a very set discharge level- overdischarging can cause them to expolode and you need circuit protection for them for both discharge and charginig. Expensive but dense capacity and light.

I personally would go with a 4-5 amp hour Nicad pack Sanyo or Panasonic. Over time will last longer than cheaper batteries.

Try not to overdischarge and overcharge too often. Overdischarge can cause cells to switch polarity and become useless.
dccjon
C Boater

Post by dccjon »

Saw a post on another board where a guy from Colorado was building his own. Check here for info:
http://www.canoecolorado.com/canoeing/bilgepump/

Jon
Jon