C-1 for 200lb+ paddlers ?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

yarnellboat

C-1 for 200lb+ paddlers ?

Post by yarnellboat »

Hi, I just wanted to replace this lost thread for reference...

I'm a 210lb OCer. I'd like to try C1, starting with a stable river-runner that I could do some basic play in.

I've been advised that full-on creekers like the Godzilla and the Y won't be good for play, and that for that boat type I could just stick to the Cascade that I can borrow.

I may be too big for the Forplay and the X. Better boats might be the larger versions -- the Score and the Z. They seem to be favourit conversions in this category. I've also been told that the the H3 255 (?) might suit me, and possibly the Nomad 8.5.

If people can recommend other hulls for a big guy starting C1, feel free to add to the list, especially if they are designs that might be found for cheap!

Thanks, Pat.
yarnellboat

Post by yarnellboat »

Here's the link to a great thread reviewing creek boats, like the Blunt, Nomads and Rockit, lots of info, including some on paddler weight:

http://cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic.php? ... ad&start=0

What I got out of that thread is there was some agreement that the Nomad 8.5 would be the best performer for larger paddlers.

P.
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

larger size boat

Post by billcanoes »

have you ever looked at an S8 235? or a T4, before the wheelboys came out, I just looked for the widest hulls, and figured they'd be the most stable.
mshelton
CBoats Addict

Post by mshelton »

Super EZs make nice C boats for "full grown" paddlers.
C1 Junior
c

Air head

Post by C1 Junior »

Liquid Logic Airheads are quite big and they are good playboats in c1 and K1, a few years old now so they should be cheap, they are over here.

Pyranha s6f have a big version too
Jan_dettmer
CBoats Addict

Post by Jan_dettmer »

Pat,

I thinof all the named boats, the s8 seems the most river running boat to me.
It is also descent for play. I paddled the middle version and had no prob catwheeling it on flatwater. At the same time it boofs well and can run drops without squirting too much.

It has better speed than the EZ, s6, T4 and Airhead. I think it is a very balanced boat. More towards river running would be the i3 and similar designs from other companies.

My friend Tim is a tall 200+ guy and he very much likes his Eskimo Quadro. He took it down some pretty good rivers, too. You should talk to him on the e-mail. Sometimes he is in the Forum, too.
Tim said that the s8 (the 225) has a little more play. The 235 would have quite a bit more volume and less play. I bet that the 235 would be for you what the 225 is for me (I'm 180)...

Cheers, Jan
Is there something like an expert kayaker?
http://www.bc-ww.com
yarnellboat

Post by yarnellboat »

Thanks for the additions, I've heard the S8s (and some of the others) were more oriented to play boating than running/learning.

But I appreciate the comments here, and will add some of these boats to C1s to demo and hulls to watch for. Thanks, Pat.
Marko @ drakkar

BIGBOY

Post by Marko @ drakkar »

HI

For the ultimate c-1 the new Drakkar big boy.

It is Easy to paddle and stable ...and it is huge... just add a rough quarter more to Wheelboy and there it is....

more info from DRAKKAR KAYAKS

www.drakkarkayaks.com
yarnellboat

Post by yarnellboat »

Thanks Marko, I know that's the ultimate way to go, but I'm a guy on a very limited budget, and I've haven't really tried C1 and have some concerns about my flexibility/comfortable. So, I need to try out this C1ing business on something that I happen across for cheap.

Assuming I try, like it, and make some money, I'll come talk to you.

P.
mshelton
CBoats Addict

Post by mshelton »

Pat,

Where are you located?
If it's some where near VA or if you're comming to the Armada you'd be more than welcome to give my SuperEZ a try.

Marshall
Kevin
C Guru

Post by Kevin »

Super EZ for sure.

And if you want to do a little more looping, freestyle performace check out the LL Airhead.
Drop Waterfalls, Not Bombs
yarnellboat

Post by yarnellboat »

Looping seems a little far off since I'm not sure what it is. I just front surf my OC and try the odd back surf and spin.

I'm in Vancouver, BC, (sorry, I forget I'm not registered -- I hate it when people seek advice, or worse, offfer boats for sale, without giving their location) so there are no "armadas," (but thanks for the offer). However, there is a small community of C-boaters that can help me out, including Jan and his circle on the island, so hopefully I'll try some boats in due time.

Cheers, Pat in Vancouver.
kaz

Post by kaz »

And let's not forget the "Wide Ride" from Millbrook Boats. It was designed for the 200+lb paddler.
JKaz

Post by Guest »

yarnell, you need to clarify what you mean by basic play. I play in my Zealot and Wide Ride. That means dynamic ferries, S-turns, fast front surfing, back surfing (if I were any good at back surfing). I can submerge the tail, and when I get better I may be able to do good bow stands. Enders, pirouettes, all this is sort of old-school playing.

Most of the boats suggested to you are "new school" and enable many more moves while riding a hole, and some more on a wave. All of them are rather slow, but once you get up to, or over to, the wave or hole you are targetting, you are set for a good time.

The new Drakar c-1 is clearly a short playboat. The late Dagger Atom and the still available Robson Finkenmeister are hot-performing old school boats, though they might both be said to have semi-planing characteristics like modern playboats.

If you are going to run rivers of increasing difficulty, you can be very happy in a Wide Ride, Atom, or Finkenmeister. Probably happier and safer than you would be in a new school playboat. I only tried an Atom once, but it did carry my then-205 pounds OK. (Though no better than my Zealot.)

If you are mainly going to play and won't cover long distances, a conversion of a new school kayak, or maybe the Drakar if it can handle your weight, would be OK.

Be careful about converting creek kayaks. You can end up with a boat which is slow and doesn't play well either.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

"...dynamic ferries, S-turns, fast front surfing, back surfing (if I were any good at back surfing). I can submerge the tail, and when I get better I may be able to do good bow stands. Enders, pirouettes, all this is sort of old-school playing...."

That pretty much describes what I'm after. Surfs and ferries that are bigger and faster than I do in my OC, and more opportunities to spin and ender. I don't really know any more than that, becasue I haven't tried much C1ing. But I imagine, especially because I weigh 210, that my first boat should be stable.

However, I have tried a Cascade, and my thinking was "if I'm going to try C1, it might as well be in a boat that's more different (smaller)." I'd like to try something that I feel like I might be able sink the ends if I tried. That's why I'm thinking along the lines of Z, Score or Super EZ.

Perhaps the creekers that have been recommended (H3 255 and Nomad 8.5) wouldn't be good for playing, but at least would be comfy river runners? I can't imagine an 8.5' boat would be that slow.

I don't really care too much, the only way to learn the difference/preferences is start trying boats. I just don't want to start in something that's too small, tippy and slicey. For the time being I do not see myself flippin' around at big park n' play features.

P.