RPM Conversion

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

mchuey

RPM Conversion

Post by mchuey »

I've been trying to get a used Atom for quite awhile now, but it seems they're all back east. I live in northern California. I've got a chance to pick up an old Crossfire and an RPM here locally. Do either of these kayaks convert well to a C-1?
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

Post by billcanoes »

There are two Atoms for sale, (out East) shipping should be about $80. SirZip (I think is his handle is Neal) His boat is in awesome condition. I think some of the back rest was cut out. but otherwise there were hardly any scratches, and I would guess the boat was used less than 20 times.

I saw another Atom for about the same price the other day- $400ish I've never called this store but there is a place I believe caled Lumber River Canoes in NC who have a store and it looks like they have a new Atom for sale at a new price, otherwise they never changed there layup.

Sorry, I didn't answer your question. I thought the Response was basically a Cascade hull. I only paddled a Cascade 12 times, but I thought it was an awesome introduction to Cboating- I'm a novice cboater . I bought a Cascade 7/9 (my wifes bday) in order to help me learn to roll an open boat, I still havent gotten that, but I did pretty good on my cboat roll today. I used the Cascade a few times, and it was fun, but it wasn't me. I prefer a hard chine.

BTW how much do you weigh? Its been a year since I sat in an Atom, but I felt like I was too heavy for it. I'm 195. I felt fine weight wise in the Cascade, and they seem like complete different choices in terms of how they will paddle.

Bill
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

i don't think an rpm would be any good.
BUT... I have a bliss-stick flipstick for sale. in northern ca! it's more fun than an atom.....350 delivered to the Sierras!
Larry

Post by Guest »

A buddy of mine had an RPM C-1 conversion. It was the only boat I have ever seen that had tertiary stability - the boat just seemed to rotate around its axis. He spent about as much time upside down as he did right side up in the boat so if you want to really work on your roll, it might be a good boat but otherwise I'd stay away, If you could pick up a redline, it should make a good conversion.

Martyn
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

Post by billcanoes »

-21-2005
private
(CA) Dagger Cascade C-1 (decked canoe, looks like kayak) with float bags, saddle, thigh straps. Length 11'xW27" Cockpit(LxW)24"x19" Vol:80 gallons Blue/green HDPE, nr. Oakland $400 510-847-8015. -- Submitted by: ashbrook

this is from paddling.net
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Anonymous wrote:... the boat just seemed to rotate around its axis ... If you could pick up a redline, it should make a good conversion...
Great points, Martyn! A friend of mine had an RPM conversion, too - the first time I sat in it, in flat water, I immediately and unintentionally flipped then overrolled four times in succession, moving laterally about three feet. However, he liked it and could stern squirt in either direction from his onside.

And yes, a Redline also makes a great C-1 - that could have been mentioned in the previous "conversion for a big guy" thread.

I don't think a Crossfire would make a good conversion either, while, superficially it looks like a Cascade, they differ a good bit, especially in width.

Scott