spark help

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

obdave
c

spark help

Post by obdave »

3rd try at posting this, I've cut the fat outta this message: gotta new spark, need some help.
1.) wildly asymetric - where's the pedestal go?
2.) royalite, what will stick?
3.) wood gunnells, how do I care for them?
4.) mainly race boat, yakimas or foot beds?
Thanks in advance if this post makes it, otherwise I'll just bang my head on the purty untreated wooden deck plate of my new boat.

dave
dave in missoula
MotorCityOC-1
C Guru

Post by MotorCityOC-1 »

pedestal-
in the middle. do a float test with you in it and a spotter onshore. some bits of tape at regular intervals near the approximate waterline at bow and stern may save yer spotter some guesswork
what will stick-
Weldwood for the foam bits, Vinybond for the vinyl bits
care for wood gunnels-
massage fortnightly w/ yak placenta
for the feet-
what do you like? some folks like their feet a bit further apart than integral footpegs allow, but with a skinny boat like the Spark, you probably can't get yer feet much further apart anyway.

hope this helps,
K
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

Spark

Post by billcanoes »

Hi Dave,

Mark your locations before installation, and allow a slight overage for hull contact prepped area.

Weldwood red can is awesome and a quart is MORE than enough to make a saddle install it, and install knee pads and hip pads/roll aids if desired.

I sand the hull and the Vinyl before adhesion and clean hull, vinyl and foam with mek. Especially with vynabond, work in small areas. As long as there are no airpockets both these should adhere well. I tried outfitting glue which didnt work. Mondo bond is decent too for foam but much more expensive than Weldwood.

Bill
CHeck out mohawk canoes for more outfitting tips.

FYI not related to your post, but I check my paddle edges every other week and add epoxy to weak ares. I did this after I checked out a friends Savage paddle, which was soft where a wood under layer was exposed.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Kaz would be the one to get in touch with about weight bias.

Or follow above directions. You as always have the tried and true method of... this feels good?

Craig
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Hopefully Kaz will help. I'm expecting my own Spark sometime soon. :D If the Spark is like the Ignitor, the seat position is fairly critical and not necessarily intuitive. Personally, I'm going to use my own ButtBucket on adjustable supports to get the best position - but adjustable thigh straps are harder. I'll think have to think about it.
Maybe a pair of longitudinal aluminum tubes slightly above the hull bottom. Or a central spine that I can bolt strap slots to... :roll:
Bob P
Louie

IF YOU CAN'T REACH KAZ, ANDREW WESTWOOD

Post by Louie »

would have the answers. You need his phone number?
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

kaz

Post by kaz »

Yo ob,
Thanks again for that Moose Drool.
Measure 74 1/2" from tip of bow to the upright part of saddle that touches your back. Plop your butt down there. That measurement seems to work for most people.
kaz
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Sounds like a plan. 8)

Kaz - When are you going to fetch my new ride? I'm going to lay up the seat tomorrow and it'll need a home soon. Otherwise, it pouts and gives me fiberglass slivers. :oops:
Bob P
kaz

kaz

Post by kaz »

Bob,
I'm going to the Esquif factory next week. Anybody else need an Esquif boat?
kaz
tgb
Pain Boater

Post by tgb »

Kaz,
I wouldn't mind finding out if the Taureau is ready. Any idea on availability & pricing? How hard to get one to NC?
thanks,
Trevor
kaz

Post by kaz »

Trevor,
I'll look into it.
jk
bearboater
CBoats Addict

mondo bond

Post by bearboater »

hey dave,
I have had the worst luck with my mondo bond in the vertige, if you do use it, scrape the *^%$ out of the surfaces to touch, and do at least 2 layers on each side. it almost seems like a waste, but then it works. I think the next glue job i do, ill switch to something else. but i havent glued a saddle in yet, but by the end of the summer i will have. Im getting tired of no backrest, and a flimsy support system, and exteraneous d-rings in my boat. But when you get the spark outfitted, you should let me paddle it a bit,
anywho.
have a good one,
if you wanna go paddling this week, write a post, or pm.
-isaac