Paddles-the latest and greatest?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Cynthia

Paddles-the latest and greatest?

Post by Cynthia »

I have used a curved Mitchell carbon fiber paddle for years and have been very happy with it. Alas, I snapped the shaft at the base of the blade yesterday. It can probably be repaired, but I thought I would also check out some other brands for fun. Does anyone have an opinion on the Robson Canoe Paddles (particularly the foam core C-1 Rodeo paddle), the Werner Bandit Carbon paddle, or any other brands with a curved blade?
jet7271
c

paddles, latest and greatest

Post by jet7271 »

i have a werner carbon bandit and love it so far, haven't done big h20 with it yet, but love the way it feels and looks. so far the sentiment i feel when i use it is "sweet stick" . jet
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Paddles

Post by John Coraor »

There was a lengthy post on paddle choices initiated around May 11, with the last post perhaps a week or so later. Try a search on the word "paddle" and it should come up in the top 5-6 items.

John
Kevin
C Guru

Post by Kevin »

Im a fan of the werner bandit, i have the fiberglass version, i had to reenforce the blade around the top od the edges to prevent cracking, and broke the shaft in half so i but a steel shank in it and fiberglassed it. This is 4 season of hard use. Once i can afford the carbon im going to get it, light, stiff, responsive, great balance. The only downside is that they are pricy as hades!

I find it great from everything but mainly use it for playboating.
Drop Waterfalls, Not Bombs
ghetto johnny
C Guru

Post by ghetto johnny »

been using the aquabound carbon edge lately and it's great
light weight and cheap
$94 and worth it
curved blade or straight
john c.
cincy,ohio
Jan_dettmer
CBoats Addict

Post by Jan_dettmer »

The aquabounds snap all the time. I have so many paddles seen break, I don't even count anymore.

The Bandit wears quick but other than that has great catch. Not the best slice.

I like the C1 Rodeo a lot. It is my favorite composite paddle. It wears slowly and evenly so far. It does not chip away. Great catch, relaxed shoulders and nice slice.

In the wood core sector, check out Echo. I love my Echo. It is probably the toughest creeking stick I haver paddled. I just ordered my second one. Andy makes three differnt curved blades. The C1, the OC and the Creeker.

Cheers, Jan
Is there something like an expert kayaker?
http://www.bc-ww.com
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

galasport

Post by chuck naill »

I think that the Galasport carbon/kevlar is more durable than the Werners I have seen, but they also cost more.

Chuck
Drew W.
Pain Boater

Post by Drew W. »

I've got a werner carbon bandit and really like it, super light, great bite, and really really stiff (though I hear that's rough on the joints, tendonitis hasn't flaired up this season yet :P)
of course my only references are the old norse paddles my outdoor club (ORGT) has, so pretty much anything provides better performance
bearboater
CBoats Addict

werner vs gala

Post by bearboater »

I have both a werner, and a gala, and i can attest to chucks statement on the wear of the gala. I have the Magun Elite Carbon, and the blade is rock solid. The catch is also much nicer than the Bandit. And its so much stiffer that you dont get any of the flutter sometimes felt with the glass bandits if youre really cranking down on it. I think the Hedral on the Gala may halpe with that, instead of the uber defined one on the werner. just a thought, im not positive, it could also be uneven blade wear, though mine is pretty even. The gala is built up around the edges to increase wear resistance, similat to how the bandit is on the bottom, but the gala has extra material around most of the blade. I cant say that i have felt it give at all. I think it might be the best paddle i have ever owned. now if i could only make a blade like the gala.
cheers
-isaac
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Galasport

Post by chuck naill »

I think that most of the slalom racers use Galasport. I have included a link to see pictures and order. I got mine from a slalom coach. If you email me I will pass your info along to him. I paid $180 for the curved blade without the dyhedral shape. I think that they are a little more, but not much. :)

Chuck :wink:

http://www.middletonsboats.com/canoes/c ... ddles.html
bearboater
CBoats Addict

price

Post by bearboater »

you should see if hed extend us the same pricing, that is a fair bit less than I paid for mine. I mean its not enough to make me bu another gala, but theres aleays that thought. But Cynthia, if you could score a Gala at that price, id take it ina heart beat if youre looking, the carbon werners are a buck 75 arent they... Money is what leads to destruction, or bankruptcy.
-isaac
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

galasport contact

Post by chuck naill »

I have emailed the coach to see if he is interested in selling some paddles to those of you that might be interested. If you send me an email, I will pass you info along to him. 8)

Chuck :roll:

chucknaill@hotmail.com
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

ECHO!

Post by NZMatt »

I will back Jan's statement about the Echo's. They're great sticks. They're hand made to your specs and the price is fair too. For a wood shaft and glass-reinforced wood blade they're $249 Canadian. What is that, about $200US? Not bad for a custom stick. For the carbon shaft/wood&carbon blade model it goes up to $329 Canadian, but that's still a good price - I just prefer all wood. Sustainably harvested woods too.

Check out http://www.echopaddles.com

I have a proto creeking stick and it's great - super bite, sweet flex, no flutter I've noticed. My wife has one of his C1 paddles (better size for her size in her Phantom).
NZMatt

Hmmm....new country, new rivers...-
Still not enough c-boaters....
CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

Post by CosmikDebris »

Just got a Woody custom paddle from colorado and it is awesome. ya'll should check these out!
allan
C Boater

Post by allan »

did you get a woody single blade? I've been thinking about one of those... i've heard they're absolutely bomber, but have only ever seen them with two blades. how much did she cost you?

cheers,
-allan