Convertible Conversion.. is it worth the hassle

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Twiggy
c

Convertible Conversion.. is it worth the hassle

Post by Twiggy »

Alright I know you're all gonna tell me to just totally convert it but...
I have a Dagger G-Force 5.9 that I'd like to make my second c-1. Right now it's a K-1 and I have a few ideas on how to make it convertible. I’m thinking about putting my pedestal on some sort of plate that will attach to the screws in the hull, and make a removable knee block.

Have many people done this, is it worth the hassle? Or should I just buy a new boat? Any recommendations for a short, light guy (5’6 – 120lbs)?
Normally I would just outright convert it but I have to admit I do kayak as well and I am a kayak instructor so I have to be able to double blade in my boat.
Twiggy
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

c1 conversion

Post by billcanoes »

The Wheelboy saddle attaches to a metal plate and then to the hull. You might need to stiffen/support the kneeling area too, which depending on how big the plate you were talking about you might already be doing.

If you haven't already. Check the outfitting section for other ideas. I have a tough time getting started, but I always enjoy outfitting a boat. I honestly, look forward to getting a new boat more than outfitting, and have a hard time fighting my boat obsession. Fortunately, I guess, my wife keeps the yard from overflowing with some encouragement to sell the lesser used boats.

Bill Reap
TessC

Contact Person you need:

Post by TessC »

J. Robbins (painboater@hotmail.com) - he knows how to do it - do it well, efficiently and you'd be thrilled with the possibilities his design allows you.
TessC

oh yeah....

Post by TessC »

that'd be Team Etc - check out on this c-forum directory for more details!!
C1 Junior
c

i did it!

Post by C1 Junior »

i did it with the dagger saddle, slight modifications made it come in and out in minutes. the problem is you than have to carry all the stuff arround with you!

i have seen a guy who totaly gutted his boat and re built the outfitting from scratch but so he could change the chunks of foam to be either kayak or C1

i will try to find the video for you!
grinner
Pain Boater

Post by grinner »

i was talking to a guy at holme peirre point that used a broom handle to fix the outfitting into the boat.
everything was tight and it could be removed easily.
it was fixed in place by the broom making it stay still and not twisting and the cock pit rim holding it in.

a great idea
paddling a flooded canoe is easy. stopping is easy as long as you have some kayaks to help you stop.