toes straps?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

nam
C Guru

toes straps?

Post by nam »

Just currious, does anyone (c1) use somekind of toe straps or something for their feet, in the c1, to tie down for more control. I dont have anything for the toe block at the moment but do you really need one. I thought it would be great when you get more control in the air.

nam
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Toes and more...

Post by PAC »

Nam
I use to slide my toes under my yakama foot braces, in conjuntion with ankle blocks, when I paddled my trusty OC1. It did give me more control - or at least it felt that way - and I never felt I couldn't get out out of the set up (room on the sides to slide out sideways on).
Now in a C1 I think ankle blocks, a butt block, hip pads and knee / leg straps hold me in pretty darn nice. I thought about a suicide strap but due to the family I have develop more white water weenie tendencies! :roll: I don't think you realy need the them but if you try toe-downs (new term?) on your C do a temp set up - it took me about 12x to get the set up right on the OC. But when it was set it was like a lazyboy - very comfortable! Good luck and let us know how it works out for you!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
nam
C Guru

okay

Post by nam »

thanks PAC:

I filled foams up against the toes before and they become more bothersome than help. I just have finished reoutfitting my c1 and yeah it is prewtty snuggled so I guess i am not going to put in toe blocks for now. Come to second thought i am going to take out the hipbelt too. It is quite hard getting out and in to the boat without having straps already.

Happy boating

nam
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Toe Blocks

Post by John Coraor »

Nam:

In my previous boats (both C-1s & C-2s) that I laid-up and outfitted myself, I braced my toes against the end of the stern pillar behind and underneath the seat. This ensured that I always stayed snug in the thigh braces (which for me were minicell machines rather than straps). However, all these boats either had a hung seat (composite lay-up, bicycle style seat hung from the underside of the deck) or a hung thwart (an aluminum thwart that is bolted to the underside of the deck with the center portion bent to the proper shape & seat height). These kind of hung seats, when properly formed and padded, provide their own integral hip blocks, resulting in a firm fit. The pedestal seats more common nowadays don't allow you to put your legs directly underneath you in order to use the pillar in this fashion. If you want toe blocks you would have to glue in either minicell or composite blocks. However, I find that my current C-1 doesn't need toe blocks. I bought it used and already outfitted with a pedestal seat and thigh straps that anchor more than half the way up my thighs. My legs go to sleep more quickly because of the position, but there is no way that they are going to get loose from the straps until I want them to!

If you're secure in the boat without them, then fuggehdaboutit! If you feel unsecure, then put in toe blocks you can actively push against to lock yourself in. However, I would steer clear of any kind of toe straps that could trap your feet when you want to get out quickly.

John
nam
C Guru

JOhn

Post by nam »

Thanks for your info. yeah, i am not going to put any toe block or straps on because it is too much work and my boat is really tight. Right now i am just fiddling with the traps to see what I can do with them. Cant wait to go pddlin thougth.

nam
C1 Junior
c

i don't

Post by C1 Junior »

i don't and found i have no need for it!

i found that in a freestyle boat all you need is a good front wall and a good backrest

what boat do you use and wot is it for? (eg freestyle or creeking or flatwater)
nam
C Guru

hi

Post by nam »

I have the sF6 192 and I love it as a freestyle playboat.

I paddled it with only lap belts and a foam fromt wall for my knees. But I am thinking of putting on another belt around the waist. Is it really neccessary?

nam
C1 Junior
c

s6f

Post by C1 Junior »

the s6f is a good playboat, i used my dads for a while, he was a bit annoyed to see all the kayak stuff in a pile and all my c1 stuff in it! mabey i should have asked him first. Oh well

It depends how high your lap belt is! if it is low then move it up instead of adding another cus that is one more thing to undo if you need to bail.

my set up is quite good, foam wall, thigh straps, hip pads and seat.

[img]http://www.bostoncanoeclub.co.uk/alex/wheelboy1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.bostoncanoeclub.co.uk/alex/wheelboy2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.bostoncanoeclub.co.uk/alex/wheelboy3.jpg[/img]
nam
C Guru

c1 junior

Post by nam »

Thanks for the pics. nice set up. That boat look sweet too. Yeah, i am going to spend sometimes to redo my strap system. When it is done I'll send you some pics.

sweet!

nam[/img]