instructional DVDs/videos

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ohioboater
CBoats Addict

instructional DVDs/videos

Post by ohioboater »

Those of you who have seen them, how do the two Solo Playboating videos compare? I'm decent at catching eddies and making moves in class 2/2+ but tend to be in blundering survival mode in class 3. I'd like to learn better stroke technique/boat control as well as the OC roll.
jet7271
c

instructional videos

Post by jet7271 »

solo playboating and drill time are exceptional videos for open boaters. kent ford,bob foote, and crew do a tremendous job. i watched both several times before i taught a WW clinic this spring. they will raise your skill level just by modeling these guys. get both and bob foote's open canoe roll video if you havent got the roll yet. good investments all. drill time takes you to the next level with great flat water skills to improve your aggressive boating in whitewater. i borrowed liberally from the drill time video in my clinic. . good luck. jet
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

solo playboating...

Post by ohioboater »

How advanced does Solo Playboating get? I just want to make sure that it doesn't spend 2/3 of its time on total beginner things like "here's how to do an eddy turn".

Thanks...
jet7271
c

instructional videos

Post by jet7271 »

solo playboating assumes you already have basic skills, but takes you a level or 2 beyond. lots of good pointers for boat control, efficiency, surfing, ferrying and some rolling as i recall. i believe even advanced boaters will pick up subtleties and suggestions for improvement. racers have the best techniques and these paddlers come from that background. i do not so i still view the 3 videos i mentioned before i teach a clinic, and learn something everytime. the definitive source for the open canoe roll is bob foote's timeless video. when i was having trouble rolling my new detonator (my first planing hull) i emailed foote with suggestions and he not so subtlely told me to buy his video and go back to basics. iwas a bit taken aback having been a combat roller for 15 years or so. but i did go back and watch it several more times, went back to basics. bob foote was right. i am trying to find a c1 instructional video. i see there may be in the works looking at threads. any ideas? jet