best cam-buckle?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

best cam-buckle?

Post by Mike W. »

Who makes the best cam-buckle for 2" webbing? I just set up my Forplay & every time I ender I can feel the lap-belt loosen :cry: I'm using a plastic buckle that came from a dive-shop. I want to stay with a cam-buckle as opposed to a fastex for ease of release.
Thanks in advance.
wayne

Post by wayne »

I was having the same proble with my steal one and found the best way to fit it was to dubble up the thickness of the strap. It is harder to get it in to the buckle but never slips any more.
Perception AMP
grinner
Pain Boater

Post by grinner »

Would that make it harder to get out when you need to swim?
But then that depends how much you do swim.
Couldnt you put something on cam-buckle instead of something on the webbibng?
paddling a flooded canoe is easy. stopping is easy as long as you have some kayaks to help you stop.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Go to a gun store that carries shooters supplies and buy a nylon pistol belt with a quickn release cam buckle. I think Uncle Mike's might be a brand name. They are similar to the lift up type buckles you find on rescue PFDs and work quite nicely. You can toss the belt which is rather stiff and use regular two inch webbing in its place. Drill a small hole in the lift tab and attach a wiffle ball on a short string making the buckle easier to find in those tense stressful moments when urgency is perceived or real.
nam
C Guru

use airplane seat buckles

Post by nam »

I have two and they work great. I think the dive shops sell the metal buckles as well.

cheers
Drew W.
Pain Boater

Post by Drew W. »

I use an airliner seatbelt and it works pretty well, definitely doesn't slip, really easy to release
the old VW seatbelts are similar to the airliner belts and probably easier to find on a VW enthusiast parts site
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Fastex

Post by chuck naill »

Fastex is the brand I used with two inch seat belt webbing. You can either tie a note or get a Faxtex "keeper" for the non tightening end. These are available at climbing stores. :wink:

I like to set it up where I am pulling down toward the knees to tighten the tigh straps.

I am not a theoretical fan of lap belts,although I can see that they would keep the behind down.
8)
Chuck
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

I used cam buckles initially in my Delirious and after a close call because of a jammed and folded over strap (yes, it was very short)
I threw it out and replaced it with a VW beetle style lap belt, which has a very similar release mechanism as the airplane lap belts, with the main difference being weight as the VW belt buckle is plated steel and the airplane belt buckle is aluminum.
They release as easily under load as without load and don't jam when they get some dirt or sand in them.
I personally do not trust the cam buckles any more.

martin

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... %2D704LTBN
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Excellant Point

Post by chuck naill »

I wear a waste type of throw bag. I usually hang it up by with the cam buckle engaged. REcently, I did not leave any slack and found that it was almost impossible to release the buckle. Please take care if you are using a short peice of webbing as you might find yourself trapped. :x

Chuck
kneeler
C Guru

Post by kneeler »

One more vote for the airplane style buckle.

I think it is important that your restraint break cleanly at the buckle and not require a strap to run through a buckle.

I have used snowboard ratchets and found that, after a while, they bend and rust and can lock up.

I grabbed my buckle from an airplane and use it as a lapbelt. A friend of mine told me that airplanes carry seatbelt extensions for large people. They are a length of strap with both the male and female part of the seatbelt buckle. He found a sympathetic stewardess that provided one for him.
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

I can't help it

Post by chuck naill »

Did the stewardess provide him with the male or the female part????? 8) Sorry but I couldn't resist. :lol:

Chuck Incognito
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Thanks for all of the replies. Martin, thanks for the link. I know I shouldn't consider cost on safety gear, but those airplane belts are pricey :o Do the VW buckles rust?

Saturday I re-threaded the plastic buckle that I have & it's a lot more secure now. I played hard the rest of the weekend & it only slipped a little once. I may stick with that for now.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Mike, I have used them for 2 years now, rivers only in the Summer (no ocean surfing, too far away for that) and pool sessions in the Winter. I do spray them maybe once a year with WD40.
So far there is no rust anywhere visibleon them. If I was using them on the ocean however, I think I would spray them after every use with WD40, that should keep them from rusting.

martin
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
nam
C Guru

airplane buckles

Post by nam »

go to a boneyard, they have tones.

Also uhmmmm, discreetly remove the ones on the airplane...so i did a bad thing . :oops: