OC2 saddle placement?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

yarnellboat
C Maven

OC2 saddle placement?

Post by yarnellboat »

I know we'll have to test the trim for ourselves, but...

Does anybody have any 'typical' measurement/guidance on where the saddles should be placed in a 14' ww canoe (VertigeX, Caption, Probe 14, Nexus, etc.)?

I'm curious to know the range different paddlers use.

For example, how far ahead of the boat's centre line is the back (tailbone) of your bow saddle 10"? How far back of centre is the tailbone-back of your stern saddle? (Or distance from the tip of the boat.) Or, how far apart are the saddles?

Anyone have any measurements or rules of thumb?

P.
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

oc2 saddle

Post by billcanoes »

Hi Pat,

I thought the rule of thumb was tailboe 7" back- for solo paddlin- from center line. Fot tandem- i cant imagine a rule because each set up would vary based on weight.

Bill
Jim P
C Guru

Post by Jim P »

If I were doing it from scratch, I'd set up one of the saddles in a fashion where I could adjust its position fore & aft depending on your partners wieght. If you are primarily a stern tandem paddler, make the bow saddle adjustable.

Interesting how the factory sets up different boats also. The VertigeX when factory outfitted has the stern paddler further towards the stern and further from the bow paddler position than most tandem setups I've seen. Perhaps they expect a heavier stern paddler, or the boat design works best with the wieght shifted a bit aft? David may have some insight on this?

All in all there may a a rul for a given boat but it would seem that you want to set up the boat for the actual paddlers to get the best balance. I like the adjustable saddle idea as it allows you to take different partners and have a properly balanced boat.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

The VertigeX when factory outfitted has the stern paddler further towards the stern and further from the bow paddler position than most tandem setups I've seen. Perhaps they expect a heavier stern paddler, or the boat design works best with the wieght shifted a bit aft?
Thanks Jim, I haven't seen an outfitted VertigeX, so observations like this are of interest. (But if they expected a heavier stern paddler, wouldn't that saddle be more likely moved forward? Anyway, I got what you mean, thanks.)

I wish hulls came with some assembly guidance, like Ikea furniture, so that the manufacturers are sharing what they know about their design and how they do their standard factory outfits.

When you buy Northwater accessories, like knee pads or thigh straps, they come with a detailed drawing of the recommended set-up with all the meaurements drawn in etc.

I've e-mailed Esquif, hopefully they will provide a response. Ideally they'd put a sketch or some comments up on the website.

I'm setting it up with 2 adjustable/removeable saddles so that it can set for solo, and so that heavier & lighter paddles can switch ends and still be trimmed.

P.
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

Saddles

Post by billcanoes »

Interesting point- I always wondered for tripple seats- if they just marked off the center and plopped the saddle in for factory installed saddles.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Other reasons I'm not attracted to the long, triple saddle is that (even with cutting-in channels) it creates a bit of a dam to water movement from side to side; and, if I'm going to use the canoe for solo, especially solo river tripping, it'll be nice to lift the second saddle right out. Also, don't you paddle the triple saddles 'backwards' for solo - meaning it would only do for symmetrical hulls?

Anyway, the Northwater adjustable anchor strips give me lots of range with a 13" strip in the bow and a 26" strip in the solo/stern.

P.
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

saddle

Post by billcanoes »

Yep, I bought my hull unoutfitted for the exact same reason- I also wanted to take the second saddle out when solo paddling- So I have 52" of webbing for saddle movement- I think it ended up pretty well. Not as snug as solo only, but I will seldolmly paddle the tandem Solo-
Maybe camping LOL
Bill
JulieKeller.com
Pain Boater

Post by JulieKeller.com »

For solo boats I place the seat so that my belly button is two inches behind the center point of the boat.

Julie
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

movable/removable saddle

Post by ohioboater »

Do you have any photos of your webbing mounted saddle? I'm trying to picture how it works (and how you keep it from being floppy).
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I should try to post some photos of the process.

Northwater sells adjustable saddles with holes and straps through them, and vinyl anchor strips that you glue to the hull. You basically just cinch it down tight. If I find it wobbly at all, I will add some Velcro too.

You can look at the products on the website of mec.ca (though I had them cut me a regular saddle instead of their typical, shorter-backed adjustable model that's shown).

I'll let you know if they don't attach securely. But I've seen others that worked fine.

P.
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

makes sense now

Post by ohioboater »

The picture on the Northwater site cleared things up for me. Thanks for the pointer.
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

Northwater

Post by billcanoes »

you can also check out North Water straps and anchoring equipment at
www.liquidmojo.biz

:D