Esquif Zephyr (Twintex material)

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

yarnellboat
C Maven

Esquif Zephyr (Twintex material)

Post by yarnellboat »

Anyone seen a Zephyr?
http://www.esquif.com/index.php?mod=modeles&id=26

Maybe the hull's lines are a little too soft-chined for this crowd?

But, the new (Twintex) material must be of interest. A composite/plastic combo, lighter and stronger than Royalex, but maybe difficult to repair.

Insight? Expectations?

P.
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

Zephyr

Post by billcanoes »

Hi Pat,

I paddled one for a few moments at the Gatineau- I'd like to actually run a river in one, before commenting on the performance, but first impressions were favorable- I thought it was really stable *I was only in it about 5 minutes on a little wave, so keep that in mind.

I have some pictures if you want to check the boat out- David did some research on the material and was really impressed-

the demo/prototype was kevlar.

Bill
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Chines? All I see is a little red X where the picture is supposed to be. I have seen some pictures from the OR show - it looks interesting. I have been a hard chine fan for a long time, but have come to have an appreciation for softer chines of late. I've been paddling an ME (mostly with the kids) and got to try a Spark recently - soft chines do NOT mean mushy handling, you just drive it differently. I could really be interested in a bullet proof 30 pound boat... What's it going to retail for?

Or do I really need a Rumba...
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I haven't seen a picture either, and I didn't mean to make a big deal out of chines, it's just that the description makes it sound like more of an entry-level boat than a play machine.

But I like their direction . . . a Zoom X in Twintex?

Mostly, it's just nice to hear of some promise (and actaul production!) for a new material.

P.
ChrisKelly
CBoats Addict

I too am interested in this Twinrex stuff.

Post by ChrisKelly »

They say it is bomber. If that is not true I am thinking that the crowd on this board will figure that out pretty quick. Lemme have one for a weekend and I'll tell you if it is bomber. :D

I am loving the 35 pound talk, esp because I am kinda a soft chine guy.

I am wondering if it fast likle the Prodigy (which might be among the fastest mass produced tupperware boats made).
I am wondering if it is hard to glue stuff to Twintex (remember Royalite).

All in all, I am very interested. Chris Kelly
TommyC1
C Guru

Twintex is polypro

Post by TommyC1 »

It's glass reinforced polypropolene right?
I wouldn't expect it to be any easier to glue to than a polyethelene boat. OK for kneecups but not for thigh straps.

Tommy
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

As far as I know the resin is polypropylene. My guess is that the boat will be outfitted with a bulkhead style saddle, similar to what Pyranha and Robson use in their polyethylene / armerlite boats.

martin a.k.a. The Great Gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Twintex

Post by bearboater »

There seems to be a trend towards the newer lighter stuff, Robson, with Amerlite which is supposed to be pretty bomber because they made a creeker K-1 out of it as well. Hopefully this approach from Esquif is in a similar direction. Im all for new light stuff as long as its as stout as the regular.
cheers
-isaac
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

Scott,
Yes you do really need a Rumba.
JKaz :wink:
Sandie_
Pain Boater

lingo

Post by Sandie_ »

what does 'bomber' mean? just very good? or are there overtones of tough and indestructable?

sandie
We are what we repeatedly do.
- Aristotle
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Bomber

Post by bearboater »

the way that i use it, and have written it here is...

Bomber Adj.
tough, stout, resilient, aint gonna break etc.

cheers
-isaac
ChrisKelly
CBoats Addict

I was thinking more about Twintex and Thigh straps.

Post by ChrisKelly »

Some folks said here that it is hard to get gllues to adhere to polypropolene. that makes sense. (I hope I am wrong about this.)
How about glass or kevlar? Sometimes folks, including me, make tie down points for thigh straps by combing out the ends of lengths of webbing and glassing them to the hull. This works well on royalex but have never done it on royalite. I also have no experience with kayak material (polypropolene). Will glass resin adhere? If so, then that is an easy solution to the thigh strap problem.
I ask because I prefer thigh straps to minicell carved out bulkheads. Chris Kelly