OC1 and C1 paddle Length

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Col
Pain Boater

OC1 and C1 paddle Length

Post by Col »

Hi,

What is the optimum length for a OC1 C1 paddle for freestyle and river running and play?
C - UNIT..!
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

The standard measure that most people use is to get a paddle whose grip comes up around eye level (definitely no higher than the top of your head and no lower than even with your shoulder) when you have your arms fully extended at the "catch" (ready to start your stroke) with the blade fully buried in the water while sitting in the boat that you're going to paddle it with. This is a rather convoluted explanation, but it will make sense when you try it. Shaft length is more important than total length as different style paddles will have different length blades (changing total length even when shaft length is held constant). Also, different seat heights (say moving from C-1 to OC-1) will change the distance to the water, making a different shaft length desireable. There is not a set standard length. As to whether you would want to change lengths when moving from freestyle to river running to play, I'll let someone else comment on that.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Or...

Post by Sir Adam »

Several longer, more or less complicated, ways of determining "correct" paddle length are posted under "Paddles" on the left hand side, or, for A LOT of reading, check out the search function...there are almost as many opinions as CBoaters:)
Keep the C!
Adam
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

since u asked

Post by chuck naill »

I like my paddles to be long because I do not want to be hanging out on my on side. My paddles range from 58" to 59.5"

My perception is that OC paddles should be longer due to the height of the boat vs a c-1. That's just a perception though.

Chuck
ken hughes
c

Post by ken hughes »

Turn the paddle upside down. Measure the shaft not the overall paddle because the blade will be immersed. The length should be from your crotch to somewhere around your forehead. The fine adjustment comes with experience and preference; so maybe go for an average.

Ken
British rivers may be small, but they are perfectly formed!