OC2 Outfitting - Nexus

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Jon
C Guru

OC2 Outfitting - Nexus

Post by Jon »

I have ordered a Nexus and will need to outfit it (saddles). Bob Foote recommends:

"Paddling skills and style determine how to best outfit this tandem canoe. For those paddling the boat from standard positions, the back bone should be 67”-68” from the bow for the bow paddler and approximately 58” from the stern for the stern paddler. For paddlers with a higher skill level and wishing for tighter positioning, the bow person’s back bone should be about 75” from the bow, while the stern person’s back bone is 63” from the stern."

What are the tradeoffs between the tight and standard positions? Why would I choose one over the other? What do I get? What do I loose?

Background: I paddle a Phantom tolerably well. We paddle a Dimension (saddles) outfitted in the standard tripping positions and love it - makes us look awsome! We are looking to move up the fun / performance ladder. Me 170, she ~140 (careful here). We will be playing in tight water (Minden Gull), medium water (Middle / Lower Madawaska) and perhaps bigger water (Ottawa).
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I take it those measurements are specific to the Nexus? Otherwise I'd take them with a grain of salt.

To place tandem saddles, I bought 2 $5 levels and we went to a lake. At the middle of the boat, while floating it totally empty, we taped the levels on where they were level.

Then we tossed in the saddles and hopped in, and then inched around here and there until our positions felt right and the trim was level, or maybe just favouring the stern.

I think the biggest factor to consider is just what feels comfortable for you in terms of how close you want to be and whether you'll be hitting each other with paddles etc.

I expect being too far apart would be less stable - think of sitting up near the ends of any canoe.

P.
Last edited by yarnellboat on Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Jon, the closer together the saddles are, the dryier the ride will be and the more maneuvrability you get. I would put the saddles as close as possible without the stern paddler constantly hitting the bow paddler. For finding the perfect trim, yarnellboat's suggestions sound good to me.

martina.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

To place tandem saddles, I bought 2 $5 levels and we went to a lake. At the middle of the boat, while floating it totally empty, we glued the levels on where they were level.
yarnellboat,
What a wonderful idea. I'm going to use your level technique whenever I outfit any boat. :D
vann evans
c

OC2 outfitting-Nexus

Post by vann evans »

I have always had good luck outfiting tandem boats using a combination of the methods noted above.

I would agree that maximum manuerivability is achieved by putting the paddlers closer together. In our c-2, the stern paddler(me-175#) is exactly one arm's length behind the bow paddler(her-135#). We have our tandem open boat slightly further apart- backs of the saddles are about 40 inches apart . However, comfort and experience are also important in deciding how far apart to be.

Two important aspects of paddling are in opposition here. One rule is that the less amount of weight in the ends means easier turning . The other rule is that the closer one's paddle is to the ends, the more effective the turning strokes. Ideally, the paddler would be in the absolute center of the boat with 5 foot arms and a 6 foot paddle!!! NOT likely!!So, no matter where you position yourselves, there is always a compromise.

Once you establish how far apart you want to be, the big question is where to locate each paddler along the length of the boat.

I start by measuring the height above waterlevel at the bow and stern deck plates when the boat is empty. this gives a starting reference point. We then put in ALL of our gear(air bags, dry bags, spare paddle, throw rope, knee cups, saddles) in the approximate location where they will ultimately be located. Then we both get in the boat and start to figure where to put the saddles.

First priority is how far apart/how close you want to be. After you determine that, then you will BOTH move forward /backward while staying the same relative distance apart.

We have someone else measure for us at the bow and stern to try and find the same ratio of heighth(bow versus stern) above waterline that we started with. Then we try to slowly raise the bow slightly by both moving back a small amout. The idea is to have the boat slightly bow light so that when you paddle forward, it will plane and not dig the bow into the water.

Part of the location is now "what feels right".. Try moving forward an inch or two and paddle-see how it feels. then move back an inch and paddle again. Check out how it moves in a straight line and also how it turns. Another thing to look for is glide after the paddling stops.

Generally, you will feel what is best within an inch or two of movement once the initial position is located.

Good luck,
Vann Evans