Taureau Seam issue

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Louie

Except maybe

Post by Louie »

for instructional purposes, Best creeker and big water ( day trips) boat out there. Only two reason more people don't have it is it don't look like a traditional canoe and Frankie didn't design it.And that is all I've got to say about that.
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Post by eddyhops »

philcanoe wrote:
BTW - finally got the dates all in line this year... Classic(final race)-then ALF-then NAWFest...
Hope you plan on attending in reverse order...
Louie wrote:
...the Fly is too long also
:lol: Image :lol:

That's just dam funny right there
JD
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

I just don't know much about boat artcraft but my thinking would be to use the Taureau molds (if possible) to manufacture some boats in that new Twin-tex. I know they had welding issues with that material as well but it looks resolved...?

Yeah, a twin-tex Taureau! And while esquif is at it, add a skirt and closed compartments at bow and stern with tub-type openings. I saw these recently on a river for a creeker boat from Fluid.

I know too bad those yakers are still showing the way but hey, don't they look dummy with their double-blade anyways :lol:

Look at the picture here:

http://playak.com/kayaks.php?id=454

The inside wall for the closed compartment also adds for rigidity, would help the seams also I guess?

I ventured in sending an email to esquif about that some time ago but haven't received any answer. Is that such a silly idea, or just too hard to do with twin-tex? What do you guys think?
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

I got my Taureau last year and used it all season with no seam problems so far.

The only problem with the seam is that is wants to rub my shaft hand thumb knuckle raw. I think I had some an open wound for most of the season from that thing.

In terms of the Fly versus the Taureau, I have some friends that swear by Fly. However, I know one fly buddy of mine who really likes my skirt option as he is always dumping his Fly. I have let several friends paddle my Taureau. From their comments, I don't think it is a boat you can jump in coming from a tradtitonal OC and be on your game, it takes some getting use to.
Gail R
Pain Boater

Post by Gail R »

I've had my Taureau for 2 1/2 seasons and have beat the heck out of it. Many strong hits over that time. I've got a good dent in the bow and a few other character marks, but it is holdng up better then I could imagine. The seam has not been an issue. I've also not had the hand issue hitting the seam as other have mentioned.

I would guess I have somewhere close to 200 days on the water with about 60% creeking and the boat has plenty of life left. I will buy another when this wears out.

I love the fly as well, but the Taureau is lighter and dryer and seems to fit my style better.

Steward

Steward
Louie

Phil

Post by Louie »

you better jump in here and tell these people who like their Teaureau they don't know what they are talkin about. I think they do.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

that's why a company makes a full line of boats, some for beginners, some for folks that have progressed in one direction, and still some for folks that have gone in another direction... I'm just being Devils Advocate, saying that you can't simply say my boat's better n yours... (MBBY..MBBY.. ad nauseum forever and ever) and not get called on it... it's simply not better for me
Louie

ha

Post by Louie »

can too Teaurea is better than the fly see I just did it. ( small child nananana noise)
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

Sounds great anyone got an extra Taureau they're willing to lend/trade out for a day during ALF? you can beat on my detonator if you like...also might be interested in buying one if all goes well and I still have a job! :roll:
philinasheville
C Guru

Post by philinasheville »

I have owned both a Taureau and a Spanish Fly, and here’s my opinion. The Taureau is much more dry and lighter, however it is more difficult to paddle. Also, I experienced a very light hit in the most perfect spot in the bow of the boat resulting in a 3-4 inch split in the seam. Esquif took care of me.

The Spanish Fly in my opinion is more wet, slightly longer and heavier, however it is much easier to paddle, again IMO. Personally, I prefer the Spanish Fly.

I am very glad to have some good short open boat options. Thanks Esquif! I was talking to my brother this morning and it would be awesome if someone would make a larger version of the Spanish Fly (~10ft) with traditional canoe type ends. I would buy one right away!

Phil
kimmieOC1
C Guru

Post by kimmieOC1 »

"a larger version of the Spanish Fly (~10ft) with traditional canoe type ends."

Hey Phil, that sounds like a Skeeter. Hope I love my new Fly as much as I love my Skeeter.
kimmieOC1
C Guru

Post by kimmieOC1 »

Okay I have chime in on the Fly vs. Taureau discussion. While the Taureau may be a great boat for some people, I have to agree with Phil in Asheville's take on the Taureau vs. Fly. I own(ed)/paddle both boats.

I tried to warm up to a Taureau this summer and it just didn't happen. I really wanted it to. It's light weight (easy to hike out and portage) and cool looking (whatz that?) and everyone kept asking me if Louie loaned me the boat (associated with the great paddlers of the day - LOL - even though I'd never met Louie).

But, my opinion is that the boat is not forgiving and not stable. It just seemed to me that if I even looked at a hole I was swimming. And then when I swam there's no thwart or gunwale to grab onto and the grab loops are hard to get hold of while in the water, so my PRIDE in excellent self rescue skills suffered. While it may be easy to attribute swimming often to paddler skill level - all I can say is I jumped back into my trusty ole Skeeter and started running stuff I couldn't master in the Taureau and stayed in the boat most of the time. Also I can self rescue the Fly, unless I'm swimming above the big do-do and just choose to let the boat go so I can swim like hades.

My biggest complaint with the Taureau, however, is that it is next to impossible to dump. Again, there is no gunwale or thwart to grab on to so you're over on the side of the river wrestling with something shaped like a pickle that keeps rolling back over every time you think you've got it. On the other hand, I can climb out on a rock in the middle of the river, grab my Fly, dump it, jump back in, and head down stream before any of the butt boaters I'm with knew what happened (handy when you need to deny you ever swam). No way in the Taureau.

The Taureau is lighter to load and carry, does have an incredible boof, and is more dry (but when you're side surfed in a hole which matters - dry (which you won't be in that situation) or stable). I applaud anyone who can paddle it well. But personally the Fly is FLY with me (do people say that anymore?).
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

kimmieOC1 wrote:"a larger version of the Spanish Fly (~10ft) with traditional canoe type ends."

Hey Phil, that sounds like a Skeeter. Hope I love my new Fly as much as I love my Skeeter.
No, that does not at all sound like a Skeeter. The Skeeter has a) not traditional canoe type ends and b) a completely different hull shape from the Fly.
The Prelude however is somewhat similar to a Skeeter with traditional ends.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Louie

chime in

Post by Louie »

Dear lets talk. Does the fact that you have to dump a fly three time or more to one time in a Teaureau mean anything? Now about dumping a Teaureau lets review you step out in knee water, and position yourself dead center of boat, roll boat toward you up on to your thighs, 90 percent of water is out of your boat at this point. With the boat upside down on your thighs lean over the bottom and catch the outside edge with the flat of both your palms, lean back as you lift the outside edge up with your hands, at this point the boat is completely out of the water and 99 percent of the water is out and the boat don't weight nada. lift righ leg one inch boat tilts to left, lower right leg one inch, lift left leg one inch boat tilts to right. with right thigh nudge the boat away from you as you pull the outside edge where your hand are towards you 15 second start to finish and the tilt step is opitional you have 99 percent of water out of boat at that point anyway.
Now about not having gunnels to grab onto while swimming. DON'T GRAB THE GUNNALS in the boat or out, if you are in the center of the boat you can get caught between the boat and a fixed object. Push the boat awayfrom you as you spin it to to get a end near you. Your painter should be stowed below your throw bag in the nice holder for this devide or under the water bottle on the other end, Swim toward the ban holding on to your painter as soon as you can stand up do it and pull your boat to you. Now you are sayin to yourself at this point what the hades is he talkin about painter for nobody uses them. You are right many year ago a few cool boater and a bunch who want to be like the cool boater decided that they would never swim and didn't need painters, what a bunch of idoits, we are all just in between swims and two extra eight foot pieces of rope are handy to have. Many a time above a 20 footer I have swam to the bank pulled my boat in after me and was able to run the drop without havin to carry my boat back up. don't listen to the cool boaters most times they ain't I wish I could have boated with you, I have heard good things about you and I know you are good but your education ain't complete. You need to boat with more than just that crowd you boat with. They are the type of boater when you are on one bank and they are on the other with your boat they throw you the rope and instead of letting you pull your boat to yourself they want you to get in the water so they can drag you back across to them and your boat, tell me I ain't tellin the truth. come boat with me in your Tearreau and you will have that Fly as your back up boat.
kimmieOC1
C Guru

Post by kimmieOC1 »

Okay Louie. It's a deal. I'm always interested in furthering my whitewater canoeing education at the feet of the masters. ;)

I'll meet you any day on the Tellico or anywhere else, just call. Oh and I'm coming to ALF. Maybe you can show me down the Cheoah. I hear its Class II/III. :o