So some people are telling me not to get an Edge...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

So some people are telling me not to get an Edge...

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

which I want to do becasue I've always paddled Frankie's boats: Viper, Ocoee, Skeeter, Superfly Spanish Fly, Prelude Cu-Fly

If I don't get an Edge what should I get for the short open boat slalom class? What is the best 13'2" oc-1 race boat? Is there a consensus top couple of boats? Thanks.

Dooley
NateOC
Pain Boater

Post by NateOC »

Well I've only paddled one breifly, but I think the best 13'2" slalom boat would be the Millbrook Ignitor. I have the smaller ABS version, the Spark from Esquif, and love it. I beleive it is the main slalom boat used at the moment.

Nate
ClassFive Boats
C Guru

Post by ClassFive Boats »

Hello, I might be of some help.. first, neither design very new.. the ignitor came out in 97 /98 but it is a cab forward desgin.. It is a lot more rounded compared to the Edge.. The Edge is a carver,, It begins its turns sooner, but there is more boat infront of you.. My impression of the ignitor is that its a more paddle oriented boat, meaning ,turns, spins, etc are initiated with the the paddle .The Edge is an edge oriented boat.. You can carve it through a gate and just paddling forward and turn using boat lean. The Edge will feel like a viper on steroids . My opinion is that either boat is able to win a national with the right paddler.
kanur
C Guru

Post by kanur »

I would vote for the Edge just because when I was a greenhorn convert from K1 to OC1 whenever I would run into Frankie he would always invite me to paddle with him and the other homeys. To a boy from Missouri I felt that was an honor. Though I am not a slalom racer His boats have always served me well. Viper 12, Ocoee, Skeeter, Spanish Fly, Prelude, Prelude again.
Frankie used to show up at our local once a year race and not only win the OC1 class but beat most of the K1 experts. A boat that can do that can't be bad.
Dennis

"Just Cause I Don't Run My Mouth Don't Mean I Got Nothing To Say" Mike Cooley DBT
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

No knew thoughts, just another man's vote :

An Edge is a fine boat. If you can get a good deal on one in good shape, I'd say go for it. If you are going to have a new one built, consider some other designs - try them out if you can. The Edge is very much a Frankie boat as has been noted. I paddled a Viper 12 for a long time and still consider it one of my favorites. However in the last couple of years I've tried, and come to appreciate the "Kaz" style.
Louie

Chad said

Post by Louie »

Get a Spark
NateOC
Pain Boater

Post by NateOC »

Yes, do get a Spark, it's a great boat.

Nate
Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

Louie, you can't paddle a Spark in the short class at slalom races
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Post by eddyhops »

As already said, try as many boats as you can.

As already said, paddling style is a factor.

I've paddled a couple of Kaz boats & own a Hooter. I really like the boats, but I learned to paddle in Frankie boats. I am definitely FASTER in the Edge, and I weigh ~220#.

BTW, Phil Foti/Rodney Morgan are not building boats (for anyone else) at this time.

Victor, did you get my email last week? I do need a couple of boats.

JD
JD