OC-1 slalom rule goofiness...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

eddyhops
CBoats Addict

OC-1 slalom rule goofiness...

Post by eddyhops »

I'm assuming OPEN RACE class is just that... any age, boat, material, manufacturer, etc... whatever you want to run, as long as it qualifies as a canoe/open boat.

Isn't this basically what is also stated as a description for the X-class?

OC-1 X class has a note stating that if a boat qualifies for any other REC or RACE class, it cannot compete in X-class. There is a note allowing rodeo boats (they would/do technically qualify for OC-1 REC class)

Does this mean boats such as the Avalanche/Rumba can only compete in the Open class, and not the X class?

Is it just me, or is it that the X-class rules are taking the long way 'round to say basically, "rodeo boats only"? :-?
JD
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

i think that the 'open race' is any age but is boat discriminate. where it allows race spec boats (13'2", etc.) but with a paddler of any age therefore making it different than the X-class. i dont kow what the avalanche is, but i think the rumba can compete in the rec class because of its dimensions.
cheers
-isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
NEOC Slalom Rules
C Guru

Post by NEOC Slalom Rules »

The X class was originally inserted to allow for innovation outside of the defined rules. The Open Canoe Slalom Committee and the racers later had a great debate and voted on limitations to that innovation. Examples of allowed innovation are differences in allowed tumblehome and end height. When the X-class began there were a few entrants who tried out their innovations, mainly boats less than the standard 13' 1", but it quickly became another class that everyone could enter "any" boat in. It also became a class in which the "rodeo" boats could compete and their allowance was actually written into the definition. With the addition of the unlimited class to allow race boats of less than 4 meters, we soon had no boats entered which did not qualify under other classes. The Open Canoe Slalom Committee then voted to limit the class to the innovative designs and rodeo boats. In actuality, this class is now the rodeo boat class and if someone wishes to design an innovative boat according to the X boat definition, they are welcome to enter it. (see our rules at http://users.bestweb.net/~keech/oc-rule5.pdf) Is it a bit confusing? Yes it is. We are transitioning from a long stable period where there were two classes of solo race boats 13' 1" (4 meter) and 15'(medium boats-read standard doubles canoe used as solo also) to today's shorter high performance boats. We still have lots of paddlers who have made the substantial investment in Kevlar Boats of the traditional race classes, as well as a lot of new blood in the many new shorter Rec boats. Thus we have a large poupourri of classes to give every one the opportunity to race against boats of (hopefully) equal performance. Its still not perfect but we're not quite ready to say everyone has to buy a certain specific boat to race in as we are a small diverse group and Nationals would quickly devolve into a much smaller competition rather than the great annual get together and celebration of White Water Open Canoeing we currently have. While I look forward to competitive racing in the Old Fogies (Masters) classes, my principal reaon for attending Nationals is catching up with friends from all over the US, whom I often only see at this race. And hearing their paddling tales, drinking their beer, and learning from them how to be a better paddler.
My two cents
Pat
Open Boat/Open Mind
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Post by eddyhops »

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I guess I'm confused about this
NEOC Slalom Rules wrote:The X class was originally inserted to allow for innovation outside of the defined rules.
What, then, are the boat qualifications for OC-1 Race Open? There is a Race Open class, aside of 13 & 15... isn't there?

I guess it seems it would be less confusing if this statement-

"X-CLASS CANOES are experimental canoes. X-class canoes can be any length, width, or
weight, made of any material, and made by any manufacturer."

- applied to OC-1 Race Open, instead of X... and X class maintained-

"Rodeo canoes that meet the specifications for open-canoe rodeo competition are allowed in the
X-class."

as the qualifications for X class.

I don't think this is doing away with anyone, just eliminating some gray in the rules...

Sorry if I'm making things difficult, I'm prone to that
JD
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

i guess im confused now, and not sure if what i posted was helpful at all. so maybe just dont read into what i said. so it goes.
cheers
(p.s. im on my way to the first slalom of the year)
-isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.