Detonator Center Thwart

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Jimjoe
c

Detonator Center Thwart

Post by Jimjoe »

Can anyone recommend where to locate the center thwart on an Esquif Detonator with a Mike Yee saddle/outfitting? I thought I saw a detonator with factory outfitting with the back of the saddle extended up and around the thwart to protect your back. I couldn’t find anything on their website. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
CanoeBoy
Pain Boater

Leave it out

Post by CanoeBoy »

Hey, I usually leave them out in Esquf boats, I hate having a thwart behind the saddle. It seems like a serious entrapment, painful swim potential. If you really want another thwart i would put it in the bow, just over your float bag. More rigidity, its out of your cockpit and its a handy place to set a beer.
Nick
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Place your saddle first, without thinking about a thwart.

You might want to try it without to see whether you really think you need a thwart.

Then, if you want to add a thwart over the top of your saddle, just see where you like it. I assume the top of your saddle isn't more than a few inches long, so there's not a lot to play with. I'd suggest further towards the back of the saddle-top.

I'd also suggest not wedging the saddle under the thwart, or even gluing it, but cutting a notch for the thawrt to hold your floating saddle.

And, if you do put one in, you might want to test it for entrapment, and then just take it out again if you don't like it.

I have no idea what the factory does or how many Detonator paddlers have or don't have thwarts over the back of the saddle.

P.