Zephyr update

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Zephyr update

Post by Wendy »

I went to NOC this weekend and demoed the Zephyr on the Nanty. I paddle a Taureau, Ocoee, and prototype Prelude. Well- I bought one of the new Zephry's just received from Esquif. These are the next generation where the leak issue and adhesive issue has been addressed. If the double strap system doesn't hold- I will switch to a bulkhead. The boat was so easy to carry around, fun to paddle and surf, and faster than my Bell Ocoee. True it is nt as edgy as the Ocoee, but I nailed every eddy. I am selling the Ocoee.
Anyway- Thanks Jacque for evolving the sport. Now two lighter, stronger, fun boats to paddle.
Wendy
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

It's pretty cool isn't it! :D
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Great evolution between composite and ABS

Post by Wendy »

Craig- I got in a Spanish Fly the other day. After paddling my Taureau it seemed like a tank. The Zephyr is cool. I can see how someone might look at the lines and compare it to an updated Ovation, but in the water it is so fast and nimble. I know the Spark is a great boat too, but I'll be racing in my Zephyr next year- I like edges.
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Another update

Post by Wendy »

In the Southeast we have had little rain, so I am paddling the boat in lower water conditions than I would like. I enjoy the boat more and more over my Ocoee. Everyone is wondering about durability- well---
due to low water I have scraped over some ledges/rocks, but no hard hits. The bottom has multiple scratches, none deep. I learned a lesson about wearing gloves. Wear gloves if you put Formula 303 on the bottom. Some small fibers went into my hands. The inside isn't a problem. What do ya'll think about wax on the bottom for an extra layer to peel off over rocks? 303 is good, but expensive.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I have at times used 303 to "protect" my plastic boats, but more to protect them from the sun than from rocks or to make it more slippery. I remember once paddling behind somebody who had put Armorall on their boat and noticing the oily, rainbow sheen they left in their wake. Since then, I've avoided putting anything on the boat and just store them out of the sun.

I'm not convinced that a thin layer of anything like wax or a surface treatment would provide any significant benefit. There *might* be some benefit with regards to boat/water friction, but I think the first contact with a rock would take it right off. But that is just opinion, I'm not particularly informed on this subject.
squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Put some scratches on that pretty boat!..

Post by squeakyknee »

I should have some pics up soon,but my Zephyr has taken one heck of a beating so far. Many scratches,some deep,and alot of hard hits thanks to low H20 and the good 'ol James. Not to mention the fact that I stick the boat in every wave and hole on the river.
Eli showed me a graet technique to dumping water without getting out (good when your pump dies). Needless to say that puts alot of stress on the thin side of the hull. No damage what so ever :D It may not be the prettiest boat I've ever owned, But it certainly is the toughest.
I figure I've paddled it 70 days or so since I got it (which for alot of people is 2-3 yrs or more worth of paddling) And I don't see it's end coming any time soon!
Props to ESQUIF and Jaques Chasse personally :D
Thanks for standing behind your products, and I look forward to more boats out of Twin-Tex.

Sincerely,
Shawn Alexander http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/scalex/de ... pg&.src=ph
Last edited by squeakyknee on Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Did he show you the rock technique

Post by Wendy »

leaning the boat on a rock while still in it? works great!
Thanks for the feedback. The boat does rocks- well it does rock!
PS- I used some 3M in a can that didn't stick for the knee pads.I know I should use the stuff in the can, rather than spray can, but I bought 3 bottles before I knew better. I found out on the river and used Gorilla glue at the put-in. Pads are in solid, with the hard foam around the edges.
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

outfitting the zephyr

Post by billcanoes »

the weldwood has held for the knee pads- one airbag tie down has failed on mine/demo so far- I'm going to try weldwood to the hull and vynabond to the tiedown- (monday next week I hope) but worse case scenario I'll lash not using vinyl anchors like David has his set up-
Scott R
C Boater

Post by Scott R »

I have recently converted from butt boating to a Zephyr. A question for those out there that have some experience with the bulkhead, have you reinforced the bulkhead with foam attached to the hull? Also the pedestal seems to move a little, not the base it is firmly attached, but I notice the top will shift just a little under the thwart. Is this something that I need to get use to or is there something that can be done.

Thanks,
Scott
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

Zephyr outfitting

Post by billcanoes »

Hi Scott,

The thwart is probably loose- some screws on my Zephry were not tightened all the way where the thwarts attach to the gunwhales- I'm not sure if this is a shipping situation or coincidence.

There is a thwart over the front of the bulkhead, so no additional mounting to the hull should be needed.

Hope that helps,
Bill
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Thwart info I got from NOC about Zephyr

Post by Wendy »

When I bought mine they told me at NOC that Esquif thwarts are shipped loose and to tighten prior to use.
squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Post by squeakyknee »

You can insert a dowel in the saddle under the twart and put a screw to lock it in place. I have locked the bulkhead in with foam on either side .
Shawn
kx250guy
Pain Boater

Post by kx250guy »

Evolving the sport? Its just another version of a canoe. Narrower /wider, shorter/longer, lighter/ heaver, more rocker/less rocker. etc. There are other oc1's that are lighter or faster or skinner or whatever. Its a nice twist on a standard canoe .
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Evolution is in small steps - I think the real advance here is the material. I still haven't been able to try the design out, the one I had a chance at I couldn't fit in :(
squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Post by squeakyknee »

I would see "Evolving" the sport as a combo of equipment AND skill. You are not exactlly evolving the sport if you don't try to step it up every once in a while.(not that there is anything wrong with just floating your OT camper down riffles all day)