Bent shafts

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

SlovenOC'er
Pain Boater

Bent shafts

Post by SlovenOC'er »

Age isn't always kind. I'm starting to experience finger and wrist issues after paddling. Considering going from a straight to a bent shaft paddle. Seems to be plenty of flatwater stuff out there. Any experience/opinions on what is available for the whitewater paddler? What a pleasant place to spend a few minutes a day at (Other than the river of course).

Slov
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

there are a few ways to go that are still WW paddles. H20 paddles makes an ergo shaft, and Galasport does as well. with a bend in the shaft, but returns to straight, so you gain in placement, and don't have too big of a change to get used to.

I have never used either, but a few racers do. As far as the way you'll feel it most likely will be better, but i can't vouch for how much it will improve your problem.

cheers
-isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
montana c-1
Pain Boater

Post by montana c-1 »

sloven-
The white water blade with the ergo shaft from h20 is great!!!!! Have used one and i think it is awesome . the paddle itself doesn't look(visually) great but blade catches well and the chaft is carbon. the only problem I had with it was rolling. takes a little getting used to but great. then again I was getting used to my c-1 too. I have paddled Galasports as well and the galasport made Robsin paddle. personal choice h20 liked the blade shape more pull great realease from water, gala more of a spooned out slalom blade, not matter what you do you will have fun :) :lol:
one blade one LOVE
Lengthy
C Guru

bent shafts

Post by Lengthy »

Sloven if you are looking for a regular (like 14 degree) flatwater style bent your options are limited. I use a BACKLUND bent and I love it. If you've never used a bent before it'll take some getting used to but give it a chance, I feel it's the best design available. I use it on everything from lakes to the upper yough and everything in between, I can't find any disadvantage. If you don't want to jump right into $omething like a Backlund before you try one for a while I would recomend looking for a less expensive decent wooden flatwater bent and throw a layer of glass on each side of the blade. Then, after you fall in love with the design, I strongly suggest getting a Backlund because it's truly a real whitewater bent.
marshwater
Pain Boater

Post by marshwater »

i have a climax ergo shaft (57.5) that i have only used once. i could be interested in letting it go. its great for cruising. easy on the wrist.

ronnie
marshwater@hotmail.com
ralst one with the bigbossman!
SlovenOC'er
Pain Boater

Bent shaft

Post by SlovenOC'er »

Thanks to those who responded. The H20 brand looks interesting. Their website states that their blades are injection molded plastic. My experience with injection molded stuff has been Mohawk and Carslile products which have some negatives. Any experience with the weight, durability and catch of H20's? Oh yeah, has anyone really beat the tar out of their Zephyr yet?

Slov