A Burn C1 is Born

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Bernie
C Guru

Burn / M-3

Post by Bernie »

I like the Burn on rivers and big creeks where speed is not a problem. When it gets steep and tight I like the m-3 233 because it is slow, stable, and lands soft. The m-3 is better for low water runs beause it has a much softer chine and will not catch as easy.
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

Burn or M3 - Alpine Creeking

Post by NZMatt »

Hiya Fez
Sounds like the M3 would be awesome for our creeks here. The 243 might be a bit big for you though. If you hear of a 233 for sale cheap, let me know, or let me know what websites you look at :)
Cheers,
Matt
NZMatt

Hmmm....new country, new rivers...-
Still not enough c-boaters....
fez
CBoats Addict

this and that

Post by fez »

Hi Matt,
I sold the Homes and bought a near new Nomad 8.1 meanwhile. This boat may be a little bit on the large side for me, but I was looking for something like an "open-boat-with-decks" for the rivers that mean to much rolling for me in the Delirious :D And 257 Liter is somewhere between the 390 of the Homes and 180 of the Delirious :D.
If you would be interested in the M:3 243 also (it doesn`t have more volume than the 8.1 and is considered for persons UNDER 80 kg) - there is one to sell for 500 € as a Testboat.

http://www.kanuladen.info/shop/images/pyranha/m3-us.jpg
imagine
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

Awesome!

Post by NZMatt »

The Nomad 8.1 would be my current top choice, but I haven't found one cheap and I can't stand spending tons on a new boat, then ripping out all the expensive kayak outfitting. I'd rather buy something a little beat up, or even better an empty shell.

M3:243 is a bit big. I'd be interested in the 233 instead. I know the volumes are the same between the Nomad 8.1 and the M3:243, but specs don't say everything, and I tend to pay some attention to weight ranges.

I have to go to Vevey on Friday, so that takes me past Siesta Oppi - I'll stop in and check a few things out.

Cheers,
Matt
NZMatt

Hmmm....new country, new rivers...-
Still not enough c-boaters....
Bernie
C Guru

FYI M3 243/233

Post by Bernie »

I weigh 170# and the 233 works really well. My personal opinion is that the 233 is a much better design than the 243. I know that they are supposed to only be different sizes but they are definitely two different designs.
I have paddled both sizes extensively.
tgb
Pain Boater

upper weight limit?

Post by tgb »

some of the reviews i've read on the h3 255 seem that it's stability is sensitive on the upper end of the weight range. the burn seems to be a refined h3. does anyone want to weigh in (no pun intended) on the how it will handle us bigger fellas? i have found one locally for $700.

i fluctuate between 230-235, 6 foot tall. the h3 cockpit seemed roomy enough once in the boat (thighs sat an inch or so below the rim). does the burn have the same depth? i have difficulty finding a boat where the rim doesn't dig into my thighs, or the exiting isn't sketchy due to the width of the cockpit.

the mega rocker seems like an upcoming possibility. huge volume with a super fun size cockpit (ej's description). jackson will even sell it as a shell, so you don't have all the kayak stuff in it. i realize this could pose a problem during re-sell.

i would appreciate any feedback on what some bigger guys are finding to be reasonable conversions. i'm in the process of gathering info to decide on whether to attempt another conversion, or just sticking with a big, cushy openboat.

thanks for the input,
trevor