ACL Reconstruction & C-Boating

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Should I Kayak in the mean time

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 3

cbcboat
CBoats Addict

ACL Reconstruction & C-Boating

Post by cbcboat »

Recently had an ACL replaced, wondering if any of you out there have had the same and how long it took until you could kneel comfortably. :cry:
kenneth
CBoats.net Staff

Post by kenneth »

I'm not saying Yes or No until I know more. :) I'm 6 months post-op from a complete ACL replacement on my left knee and my new ACL was taken from my patellar tendon of the same knee. In my situation there have been two things keeping me from paddling in general:

1. I can't kneel very well since they took 1/3 of the tendon that you happen to kneel on and the nerves are still re-growing.
2. Even though at 4 months post-op I felt fine, I knew that I should do everything in my power to avoid that swift quick kick also known as swimming.

In my case it takes a year to regrow the patellar tendon and the new ACL to double in size. In that time I have to be relatively careful all around.

In my opinion kayaking would be ok if you can't C1, I just don't know if I'd recommend even kayaking for you. But it all depends on what type of reconstruction you had, how far into recovery you are, and how good your kayak roll is. :)
Joey

Post by Joey »

i tore mine playing football in highschool. my recovery was really quick. however i was 17 at the time, so take this for what its worth.

first of all, i was very adament about going to therapy 3 days a week, and stretching every day. after about 2 months i was back in my boat. THE DOCTOR DID NOT RECOMEND THIS AT ALL. i was sort of young and dumb at the time. still i never had any problems. in order to get in the boat i had to build a mini cell doughnut to kneal on. this worked well, and kept me somewhat comfertable. it didnt seem like i was putting any presure on it, and as long as i could bend it enough, it seemed fine. i certainly didnt want to swim though. that could be bad.

hope this helps ---- joey
Marc Evans
C Guru

My experience with ACL replacement

Post by Marc Evans »

Sorry to hear of your injury cbcboat. I really can't give you an opinion about canoeing vs. kayaking, since I don't kayak. However, I can give you some insight into recovery possibilities.

I'm 6'4", 180 pounds and 52 years old. I blew-out my left ACL two and a half years ago playing basketball. Had the ACL replaced with one of the ham-string tendons. I followed the advice of the doctor and in particular my physical therapist (a friend with similar bad luck on the basketball court). I worked hard to rehab the knee and was okayed to get back into my open boat at six months post-op.

Realize that being given permission by the doctor and actually getting into a canoe are two different things. I had to raise the seat from 8" to 11", just to be able to sit for a reasonable amount of time (lost my roll due to high center of gravity). My seat is now down to 9" and I am ready to remove another inch. More effort stretching the knee during the time between 6 months and 18 months post-op would have brought me further along. Also, realize that I'm on the older side for a c-boater - which translates as being slower to heal.

One thing that you don't want to do is push too hard. The teenage daughter of a friend did that and ended needing a second ACL replacement. If you push it too hard you can stretch the newly transforming ligament and end with a joint that is still loose. Do what your doctor and PT advise. It is not worth a redo!

Keep working at the rehab. I just finished a five day trip in the canoe and felt great.

Marc
montana c-1
Pain Boater

Post by montana c-1 »

:o
hey b- do what ever it takes to put a smile on that wonderful mug or yours!!!!!
one blade one LOVE