good c-1 conversions

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ianp
C Boater

good c-1 conversions

Post by ianp »

what kayaks make good conversions to c-1s for playboating. I have heard that skips and pops are good. what about riot airs?
kneeler
C Guru

Post by kneeler »

In my experience at 180 lbs, the pop is a decent playboat but the skip is too small.

I have converted both the Air 55 and the Air 60 and found the Air 55 to be on the small side and the 60 to be on the big side. The 60 was a decent river runner but it was a bit much for playboating.

From Riot, the Turbo is a nice conversion. The larger Nitro is a great river runner. Of course the Disco is one of the greatest conversions out there.

I am in a Dragorossi Fish now and I haven't been as excited about a conversion in a long time. It has a great hull template for c-1 (wide in the center with sharp, bowed edges). I think it has a lot of qualities that make it an ideal conversion: easy edge transfer, great secondary stability, nice volume in the ends that keep you from diving when you lean off center. On top of being a great playboat, it also runs rivers extremely well.
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

At 190lbs. I like the Big EZ. It is real slow, so don't expect to make many attainments. Due to the lack of speed, I won't take it on anything harder than the Ocoee. It carves very well on a wave & the spins aren't bad. My Forplay spins better, but doesn't carve as well.

There is a short video clip of the Big EZ surfing with my 190lbs. in it here: http://www.americanwhitewater.org/conte ... oid/14023/

Riots & Neckys have narrow cockpit openings which are tough on fat guys like me. I've paddled a Necky Rip, which is great on a green wave, but so narrow that it's scary on flatwater. It carves & enders with ease.

The Session is good on a steep wave & no slower than the Big EZ.
montana c-1
Pain Boater

Post by montana c-1 »

i sit at a solid 200 lbs and I love my
Fluid Flirt I am in the large way big, not to big for me but it is large a friend of mine just got a medium and he is about 150 and loves it.

I would recomend looking at a Fluid they are great boats!!!
one blade one LOVE
janderson
c

Perception Method Air as C-1

Post by janderson »

Has anyone converted a Method Air to a C-1? What was it like?
I'm about 6' and 150 with some experience in C-1, much more in OC-1 (Zoom, Zephyr and Outrage)
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

Good C1 playboat conversions

Post by NZMatt »

Hiya
Based on what was being paddled here in Thun today (at the European Champs):
Robson Twintip (over half the paddlers were in this boat - plus you can sometimes buy it as just a hull - without the kayak outfitting).
Necky Orbit Fish
Crazy 88 (I think)
Wavesport Zero Gravity (I think)
Jackson Fun series (not sure which one)

The Drakkar Wheelboy is pretty good. A bit bigger than the other boats. I'm 140lbs or so (64kg) and was paddling mine today (unfortunately my surfs before and after my 2 competition rounds were better by far than my 2 competition rounds - stupid surgy wave :-? ). I also run it down class 4 continous creeks. It'd be a better rodeo boat if you are a bit bigger, but then wouldn't be as good an all around boat.

Enjoy!
Matt
NZMatt

Hmmm....new country, new rivers...-
Still not enough c-boaters....
kneeler
C Guru

Re: Perception Method Air as C-1

Post by kneeler »

janderson wrote:Has anyone converted a Method Air to a C-1? What was it like?
I have not converted one but I have paddled that boat as a kayak and think it would make a great C boat. I think that's one of the more underrated all-around boats out there - and I'm not a huge Perception fan. Great river-runner. Great balance. Cartwheels really easy.
ianp
C Boater

Post by ianp »

anyone converted jackson boats?
msims
CBoats Addict

Post by msims »

Yeah, I've converted a super-fun.

Great boat - it's my first c1 and i can't really compare w/ others. Folks that have paddled it have really enjoyed it.

It's a nice stable (for a c1) boat.
________
VIDEO REVIEWS
Last edited by msims on Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
((O))C
c

conversions

Post by ((O))C »

me- 185 lbs

pyranha prozone 235- didnt like it but bigger guy 190-200 lbsl loves it

big EZ super great river runner, al arounder but slow and couldn't cartwheel with it

riot big gun- super creeker, also has hatch (option) great for storage and or camping, real tank, great for waterfalls, boofs surfs not bad (sniper for smaller paddlers)

dagger centrifuge- super boat, fast , cartwheels at nothing rolls well, can do big water (i.e Ottawa) super boat (ultrafuge for smaller paddlers) is similar to riot disco (?) and couple of other boats...

riot turbo- people are pretty happy with it, but never paddled

liquid logic space cadet- great fun for surfing and getting aerial but no speed for river running.

anyways tons of used k1s out there, depends what you want, for the more recent boats liquidlogic vision seems good, wavesport diesel or zg for all rounder.

I'm currently looking for a good boat to learn aerial moves, if anyone has ideas please post... LJE