home made/ factory saddles

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ianp
C Boater

Post by ianp »

is it worth it to outfit a c-1 with a factory made saddle such as one made by mec or beluga or is it just better to carve one out of foam?
Aric
Pain Boater

Post by Aric »

Ian,
I've always found it better to get a 1/2 bun of foam from sweet composites and start shaping. you get a custom fit, a good chance to mess around with your boat in early spring before the snow really melts, and it's cheaper.
Aric
ianp
C Boater

Post by ianp »

thanks
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

if you can find a used dagger saddle, grab it. the nice thing about a factory saddle is you can move it to a new boat pretty easily. saddle, knee pads, and lower strap anchors all come out in one piece..with two bolts..
Larry
bushpaddler
C Guru

Post by bushpaddler »

Maybe it's worth to have a look at this:

http://www.canufahren.de/news.htm

This saddle, built by a friend of mine out of a waterproof ammo ton and shaped fitting foam glue (polyurethane), was usually intended for Ally Canoes in Whitewater, but a modification of it may also be adaptable for OC1 and C1 use (maybe a smaller one for the C1).

Florian
fez
CBoats Addict

saddle

Post by fez »

Hi Florian.

I don`t think that this is a practical solution.
Here I found a very simple but great looking outfitting solution of some interesting german peole that build also some c2 boats...

http://www.xekaup.de/C1_engineering.htm
imagine
ianp
C Boater

Post by ianp »

what do you guys think of this saddle
http://belugaworld.com/?p=produits.item&pid=43&pg=4
looks pretty cool to me
your thoughts?
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

I believe that saddle is intended for OC-1, not a decked boat. I've always liked the looks of that saddle, but friends have steered me away from "solid" restraints in case of a pin. There is no release on a system like that as you would have with thigh straps.

I'm sure there are people that would argue that its safe. I would just consider where you paddle and the potential for entrapment with that system. If you think the risk is minor where you paddle, go for it.
beereddy
C Guru

Post by beereddy »

<There>

Usually the thigh straps is more flexibyl it,s mean when you flip, the strap follow to your thigh motion and its very dangerous
fez
CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

jscottl67 wrote:... If you think the risk is minor where you paddle, go for it.
But even then... such an oc saddle is much to big for a decked boat and you would have to cut it completely down for a much lower decked boat (at least most of the usual conversions). I guess its much to expensive to use it that way.
imagine