Short Falls Race Video

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Short Falls Race Video

Post by PAC »

A short video (my second attempt at video).

Who can identify what the OC and C did different than the Ks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USea4vM10V0

Enjoy! Paul C.

PS: Note the Fink in action - I paddled this boat too and really enjoyed it!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
msims
CBoats Addict

Post by msims »

I think that looks like Martin's fink - was he paddling?! Nice job! Nice Sous-marine on the OC too...

What's up above the falls? That looks like a little sticky hole just before the drop... looks like fun!
________
Nevada dispensary
Last edited by msims on Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Paul,

Cool! Now I'll have to get the footage from your run from Duane and post it, too 8) !
This footage proves that c1 and oc1 are actually better to stay upright when running a falls than k's :lol: ...

Mike,

Yes, that was me in the Finkenmeister. This was my 2nd run.
Yes, there is a wave/hole about 10 feet above the brink that can make your run very interesting... the freestyle boaters were actually playing in it. The easiest line is to punch the curlers on the right and avoid the hole.
The run starts with a 2ft boof to avoid a sticky horseshoe shaped hole where several people swam, continues over a 4ft boof and then leads into the big stageing eddy on river right above the tongue that leads down to the main drop.

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

thats a sweet line, and Martin your run was very impressive.
thats way beyond my level.
cheers
-isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Post more footage of open boats!! Tandems!!

Impressive. Martin, you make it look very easy. I look more sketched-out than that in some class III eddies.

Were all the single-bladers that successful?

I've never tried anything remotely like that. I think I'd be terrified. I wish I knew of some "practice drops" that I could work on.

Doesn't anybody get worked in recirc at the bottom of the falls?

PY.
Jan_dettmer
CBoats Addict

Post by Jan_dettmer »

Pat,
Browns River has a good practice drop (12 ft). Also the lower Cheak has a dead easy 20 footer (some people call it large steaming pile of dog doo falls...you def. don't want to roll when Whistler has a busy day).

Cheers, Jan
Is there something like an expert kayaker?
http://www.bc-ww.com
beereddy
C Guru

Short Falls Race Video

Post by beereddy »

Buy the way is that oc1 a Nitro?
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Beereddy,

The OC1 was Mick in his Dagger Ovation.

Yarnellboat,

No not all single bladers were sucessful. I saw several of them swim. And yes, you will get worked if you drun the falls too far left or right, forget to boof or stall out in the foampile above the drop.
It will spit you out though.

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

more falls...

Post by PAC »

The pictures from the day are up (at least some of them) at the following www.boaterphoto.com.

3:00 to 3:15 http://www.boaterphoto.com/gallery/main ... mId=525759
3:30 to 3:45 http://www.boaterphoto.com/gallery/main ... g2_page=15
Mick
3:45 to 4:00 http://www.boaterphoto.com/gallery/main ... g2_page=10
4:45 to 5:00 http://www.boaterphoto.com/gallery/main ... mId=532210

FYI for others I flipped on both runs I took and swam on the second. :oops:

Mike, I think Martin aced all his runs. Mick had nice runs (nice to meet Mick too) - at least on the ones we saw / ran with him...had got quite a few more than then we did in - in his OC1 Ovation and C1 Delirious! At the 1.6' level the falls hole is not that bad but can take you "places" if you lose focus! :o The upper drops are less forgiving than the falls but provide less of a beatdown if you screw up. The falls themselves are fairly benign at this lower level and only provides a low level beatdown. This, and Valley Falls (WV), are great for first time runs.

There were a number of other OCs and C there and Big Al won the OC race division 2nd year in a row and then did his annual "beside the boat" over the falls run for the crowd! One of the other OC we saw did 1/2 spin on the falls wave then ran it backwards.. on purpose (we think 8) )! There were some sick boaters there (K, OC, C and IF) and I should have taken more video - next year! :)

A couple boat reviews from the event: I ran the falls in the Wheel Boy 1st run, the Fink for the 2nd and then paddle Mick's Delirious for giggles on the Loop.
WB - I was extremely please with this little boat and how it punched the stopper waves, it quickly came back on track coming out of holes and boofed nicely going over the falls. It really is a sweet design IMHO.
Fink - I broke 2 rules paddling it...1st I took it over a 18' drop when it was the very first time I was ever in the boat - definitely not out fitted for my size (I think Martin is 6'+ and I am 5'9"). 2nd I lost focus (and the paddle) during the final drop - my bad! I now have a really nice bruise on my right bicep to show where the t-grip was ripped from my hand in a crease... then slapped back at me. Ah the things you learn the hard way. That said the Fink was very forgiving, stable and a heck of a lot faster than I expected it to be. The first 2 drops were just non-events in it. At the last (the falls) I was able to get where I shouldn't have been, way-to-quickly. I was able to recover, but again too quickly, punching the wave (not like Martin's nice controlled stall) and kept on trucking left via a very unplanned route sideways and without a paddle at the end! :cry: The Fink stabilized upside down under the curtain (a fairly dark world with lots of "rain" on above you), then slowly released into the pillow then flow - I then started my "fish count". :wink: It surfs, flat spins and rolls easily, has great stability (primary and secondary), surfaces quickly (when paddled correctly) and boofs nicely (even flopping about in the outfitting I was able to bring the nose up using the thigh straps Martin had in it). One thing I was not use to its size so the high deck and bigger volume took some getting use to - like an open boat - I had to adjust to get any cross stroke action going. Overall I give high marks and really enjoyed paddling it (I think Mick did too on the Loop)!
Delirious - just think slice and dice. :D Mick had it nicely converted and it performed nicely as a play boat with nice speed to run for some of the more technical lower volume routes.
Overall a great weekend - maybe well see more folks next year! :wink:
Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!