What boat would be good for me to paddle?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Erin683
c

What boat would be good for me to paddle?

Post by Erin683 »

I started paddling OC-1 about 12 years ago. Pretty much the only boat I've paddled is a Dagger Ocoee. After a recent trip out to the SE (I live in MO), I decided I'd like to try C-1.

I am 5'2" and weigh about 105. I'd like to use the C-1 for playboating on class III-III+ rivers. A friend recommended a Jackson Fun.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Erin
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

There are a number of good conversions (older and new) that you can look at. Demo / borrow - You can usually meet up with another C1er and test out their boat to see if you like them.
My suggestion since it sounds like you want more of a play / river runner would be the Wheel Boy or a Sith.
A lot depends on what you plan on running and what you are willing to spend! :-) Keep us posted and let us know if there are other questions. Good luck and enjoy trying new boats.
Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
TomAnon
C Guru

Post by TomAnon »

That is really good news! Welcome!

I would say you are in for a big shock going from an Ocoee to a Jackson Fun. If you can find one that is outfitted for you or if you can reoutfit it yourself it may be worth giving it a try. However, converting one can be a bit difficult if you have never done it. There are not to many factory outfitted C1s out there anymore and PAC referenced one in the Wheelboy. In the used market place it may be worth finding an old Atom, Cascade or even an old slalom boat to get yourself going, rolling and working through all the strokes you will need to relearn.

I have a Jackson Four Fun and it is nice enough once I got all the outfitting issues straightened out. Nothing great. It is stable, predictable and easy to throw around and just plain SLOW! I like speed and slalom racing just so you know where I am coming from.

I believe there is an Armada in the works for September. That would be a very good way get into and try a few different types of boats. You can find the thread in this forum. Or, try the NOC GAF. If you are good at approaching people from zero, most C-boaters are pretty happy to share.

Another thing to consider, you will need a new paddle! The length of which will be anywhere from four to ten inches shorter than your OC1 paddle. At 5'2" you may have a paddle length in the 51-56" range or smaller. I am giving some very broad ranges here to make a point.

If you looking at a C1 to get away from the weight of the Ocoee then give an old slalom boat or any old composite boat for that matter a new home! I think you might really like them. On the plastic side, the Jackson Fun is one of the lightest; however, that comes with a price as well as I am not real impressed with the quality of the plastic. Like I said earlier, it is good enough. The Wheelboys and Finkenmeisters I have seen are much better built.