Class 2 - 3 creeks around Ashville/ Noli area ?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

kanur
C Guru

Class 2 - 3 creeks around Ashville/ Noli area ?

Post by kanur »

We are going to be around the Ashville area next week and looking to paddle something different. I know we will be doing the Nolichucky gorge if the water holds. I have paddled the Doe and Watagu gorges before but a couple of OCers in our group would not be comfortable there. I have heard there is an easier section of the Doe and Wilson creek. Does anyone know about these or anything else. Would prefer small streams so I can keep my friends in there canoes and off their whitewater couch (Shredder). Have time, willing to drive
Thanks, Dennis from Missouri

PS- Phil in Ashville you going to be around next week?
Dennis

"Just Cause I Don't Run My Mouth Don't Mean I Got Nothing To Say" Mike Cooley DBT
philinasheville
C Guru

I'll be around

Post by philinasheville »

When are ya thinking about boatin'? I'd love to join you if I can. Let me know. French Broad Section 9 should water.

-phil
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

Hey Phil...don't know if Scott talked to you, but we will be paddling the Nanty Friday and Saturday...might hit the Pigeon Sunday AM.
philinasheville
C Guru

Call me if you run the Pigeon on Sun

Post by philinasheville »

828-275-1930
kanur
C Guru

Post by kanur »

Phil,
Michelle and I, and Phil and PJ ( I'm pretty sure you've met them, they paddle OC's and a shredder) are going to the Drive-by Truckers show in Asheville Saturday night then plan to hang out where ever we can find water all week. Would love to paddle with you but we may not be moving around real early Sunday. I will try to contact you. 573-275-7210
Dennis

"Just Cause I Don't Run My Mouth Don't Mean I Got Nothing To Say" Mike Cooley DBT
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

Wilson

Post by billcanoes »

Hi Dennis

Are the paddlers in open boats or c1s? you need at least -5.5 or higher to oc1 the gorge- to take out at the gorge I'd say -3" or better.

There is a 2ish section on the Wautauga which takes out at the guys ford put in- there is one port-age about a .25 mile into it- look for a trail on the right flat pool with some easy rapids at the start. it gets really scrapey at about 1.9'

I can probably go if you are willing to be there EARLY- I start work 14:30 weekdays so would need to be off the river by 12:00

Bill
kanur
C Guru

Post by kanur »

Hi Bill,
Our group has 3 canoes( 2 Preludes 1 Spanishfly) and a kayak. What run are you talking about in your first paragraph? I have heard about that section of Wautauga but the gorge is the only part I have run,it sounds interesting. I have heard the Doe after the gorge is also fun and senic with easy access. Philinasheville reminded me about Big Laurel whitch is a run I have wanted to do. Of course it needs to rain for all of these but thats possible.
Dennis

billcanoes
CBoats Addict

Oct paddling

Post by billcanoes »

Hi Dennis,

Sorry- Wilson Creek Gorge- currently -9" They should be able to get down in plastic boats -5.5" in a Zephyr was tough but there are a lot of tight moves which the preludes and spanish flys will be better suited for-
http://wilsonvisual.blogspot.com/

704-604-6687
Bill