I am so stoked!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

carter1
Pain Boater

I am so stoked!

Post by carter1 »

I bought a Nitro from a member here a couple of weeks ago, and paddled it on a local lake last weekend after a friend helped me get the fit right. This past Sunday, I went with the same friend down the Nanty. Dayum, that was fun! I swam at the bottom of Pattons, and once at Surfers (on my third attempt to surf), but cleaned the rest of the river, including Wesser Falls. This probably doesn't seem very exciting to most of you guys, but I've only been on white water once before-what a rush! What a weekend, singlespeeding mountain bikes at Tsali and paddling a canoe down the Nanty! I am so stoked! This forum was an invaluable tool in making my equipment decisions, so thanks to all who are responcible for it, you contributed to an awesome weekend.
c
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

Good deal :D Pattons always seems tougher to me than the falls because there really is no warm up, just straight into the fun stuff :o . Some friends and I were paddling OCs on the Nanty on Friday and Saturday and had a great time. :)

You do know that you can go to the NOC website and check your photos on the falls. :)
carter1
Pain Boater

Post by carter1 »

Photos from NOC are running a little behind, but should be up in a couple of days.
jscottl67, I see that you are in Mt Olive, I live in Apex, just off 64, if the Haw's running and you're coming this way, let me know, I live 10 minutes from the 64 bridge, in Apex.
c
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

We paddle on the Haw pretty frequently when there is water, will definitely try to meet you there. We did the Nanty Fri. and Sat. and the Tuck. on Sunday before the long drive home.
carter1
Pain Boater

Post by carter1 »

I'm a rank beginner at this game. If you don't mind dealing with a newbie, post up next time it rains!
c
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

Not a problem at all, definitely not an elitist when it comes to paddling. I'm on my first WW OC-1, though I've paddled a friends a few times as well. I paddled a 16' tandem for about 5 years, and I've carried it down the Haw many times before getting a pure WW boat. It's definitely an addiction. :lol:
carter1
Pain Boater

Post by carter1 »

I'm pretty addicted to single speeding mountain biking, but I need an addiction for when its raining and can't ride wet trails! I take several trips a year to the mountains for bike trips, and always get rained out a few days a year-I'll never take another mtb trip without my boat!
c
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

We've done 5 or 6 trips to the Nanty this year, probably pulling off another either late October or early November. I'm a runner, but I'm the only one in our little group that has that affliction.

You can e-mail me at jscottl67@yahoo.com if you like. I have a 2 y.o. daughter so I don't get out as much as I would like, but I have some friends that are on the water somewhere just about every weekend. It may be flatwater, but they're out there.

Jeff
carter1
Pain Boater

Post by carter1 »

My daughter is seven and my wife likes to play too, so I understand. Its all about time management!
c
tgb
Pain Boater

ditto

Post by tgb »

good to learn of other locals. i'm in the same area. i live down the road in sanford. i don't get too many trips to the mtns for paddling due to family & work commitments, but when the haw comes up, i try to get a trip or two in. i paddle so infrequently, that i look pretty green when i finally do get on the water, but it's all fun anyhow. put me on the call list.
trevor
bradian@alltel.net
riverratrsf
c

Post by riverratrsf »

Hey Ya'll,
I paddle the Haw when I get a chance myself. I live in Northern Moore County about 45 minutes from the Haw. I also have a pretty good class 2+ run on Deep River you can check out sometime.

Scott
Keep the Open Side Up!
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

With all of these North Carolinians, why isn't there a larger Carolina contingent at the Armadas? Y'all don't know what you're missing.

I don't get to the Haw much. If that's running so is the Appomattox & that's less crowded. I should be at Weldon on Sunday. My OC just sold, but let me know if you want to try any C-1's. I've got a couple of conversions, a Viper & a master cut Acrobat.
carter1
Pain Boater

Post by carter1 »

Maybe one day Mike W.

First, I need to learn how to get in and out of the boat without capsizing! Amazing that I can move the boat down a river of moving water and do just fine, but the getting in and out thing might be the toughest part for this beginner.

BTW, is this the correct forum for asking beginner questions?

c
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

Mike, I'm sure that there are a lot of reasons for the lack of paddlers at the armadas. Here are, off the cuff, the biggest 3 I can think of.

Distance - NC is a big state, 7+ hours from one end to the other. Relatively speaking, you are almost in Va.

Whitewater experience - You have Weldon Falls in your back yard to play in. For most of us down east, pretty much the biggest thing around is the Haw (when there is water) and every bit of that can be done in a tandem flatwater boat (though not nearly as fun that way). The biggest thing most of us have probably run is the Nanty...just because everyone knows it's there, everything is documented, and it's pretty safe. If people I've paddled with say I'm fine on a river and they know it well, I'm cool with it, if not, I approach new rivers with a bit of caution.

Little publicity outside this forum. I don't think the Armada last month was listed on the Carolina Canoe Club calendar at all. This site is all about C-boats and OC, the majority of people in the CCC are on yaks...not surprised that it isn't listed. That said, there are several OC and C1 paddlers in that club and it would be a good conduit for passing information on.

Oh...on a positive note. Friday at the putin on the Nanty....6 OCs and not a single butt boat in sight. :D :D :D
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

carter1,

It's absolutley the right place for beginner questions. ;)