Proper new OCer Education :P :evil: :P

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Proper new OCer Education :P :evil: :P

Post by jscottl67 »

In the past few days, we've had some wonderful questions from some new boaters...good questions and answers. However, I think it's our duty to new boaters to prepare them fully for the real world.

For months, they will be struggling with eddy turns, peelouts, surfing, unintentional side surfing, swimming, and certainly some failed attempts at rolls along the way while our skirt wearing, butt-boating friends will be laughing smugly in their dry little girl's boats ;)

Soooo....I thought it would be rather fun to list some of your favorite terms for our training paddle bearing friends. ;) No OC training would be complete without it. :evil: Have at it :)
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

I have the utmost respect for kayakers so I never call them names. Heck, I have a hard enough time handling one blade. How they manage to handle two blades at once is beyond me. :lol:
dafriend
C Guru

As mom always said,

Post by dafriend »

If you can't say anything nice then shut your fricking yap. :o
Really, she did. If nothing else mom was colorful.

Also, it's important to remember that kayakers are our friends. Not food.
sdbrassfield
Supporting Paddler

Post by sdbrassfield »

Easy now....Skirts are worn by more than just K-1's, they are
often seen being worn by dry C-1 boaters and on K-1 conversions.
SYOTR
squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Post by squeakyknee »

I can paddle a Yak with the best of them, forget all this crud about giving K-1ers h e ll .let them talk all the smack they want. put them in a C-1 or a open boat on some real rapids and they'll shut up. Plus there's nothin better than getting to a play spot in one of our boats and asking"Hey, can I try your kayak for a sec?" and then tearing it up.
I've found the same holds true in skiing/snowboarding, surfing/bodyboarding, etc. Just have fun and ignore stupid people.
And unfortunately the law protects Stupid people as well
That's as close to a RANT as you're gonna get out of me for now.

IS that tame enough for you Scott? :P
sdbrassfield
Supporting Paddler

Post by sdbrassfield »

Squeak....Are you feeling OK ? That was awful tame....
SYOTR
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

Yeah....very tame ;) I guess our new boaters will have to search the forum for all the good stuff instead of having it all the goodies in one thread ;).

I've had a couple of people paddle my boat before...fun to watch when they get in a little bit of squirrely water. :oops: It's a wonderful learning tool (if you wanna learn to swim ;) ).
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I'd prefer a nice Scotch tartan on my "spray deck" so I could declare it a kilt.

And regarding kayakers, I'd seem awfully ungrateful if I made fun of them now after all the services they rendered fetching my gear while I was figuring out the whole "don't exit the boat just because it wobbled" thing.
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

I think NRS may have just what you are looking for.

I have nothing against yakkers either...really appreciated them when I completely replaced the outifitting in a Cascade and took it down Patton's Run before making any adjustments at all ;) I had just gotten the boat and it was my first, 2nd, and 3rd attempt at a roll and the first time I ever had to figure out while in cold water and upside down how to pop the skirt and get my big-arsed feet out of it :(

C1's are always looked at as cool, but OCs are "beer barges" (sometimes true 8) ). Not looking to arm anyone for insults, just the inside jokes and terminology in the light hearted rivalry.
greybear
C Guru

Post by greybear »

I have mixed feelsing about kayakers, most of the people I paddle with are kayakers and they treat me well and help when I am in need. Kayakers I often meet on rivers and in some clubs can be truely hostile to anyone not in a kayak. Sometimes they play an important need catch eddy and one needs to ram to catch the eddy, some are hole hogs. Ones that get in my boat and try gain a new respect for other river craft. One must remember canoes were running whitewater hundreds of years before kayaks, OC-1 still are the Jedis' of the water an old art of grace and style not pure strength.
boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Re. Kayakers. Love 'em and/or hate 'em.

Post by boatbuster »

:-? I am forced to paddle mainly with kayakers because the Southeast, once one of the strong points for OC1, is now overrun with butt-boats. Most of the kayakers I boat with are nice, fun and fairly respectful of my skills (with the expected friendly rivalry) I have even had strangers say, wow, you're padding an open boat here?

Don't anybody take this wrong, but some of the open boaters I have seen out there have over-inflated egos. I know we are a strong-willed bunch. Have to be to endure. But there are a few that take this dissing kayakers and do it to fellow open boaters based on the kind of water or boat they paddle. To these people, kayakers or open boaters, I say give it a rest.

I want nothing more to see more open boaters and C-boaters out there. Speaking of which, check out this awesome clip of Brian Miller cleaning the Green River Gnarrrs:

http://www.boatertalk.com/forum/BoaterTalk/1119405
orky
C Boater

Post by orky »

ah lads calm down not all of us k1ers are dat bad i actually consider myself a paddler and will try any paddle sport i can and any discipline in it
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

greybear, very well said,
"One must remember canoes were running whitewater hundreds of years before kayaks, OC-1 still are the Jedis' of the water an old art of grace and style not pure strength."
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Post by squeakyknee »

And what happened in the last Star Wars movie? almost all the "Jedi's" were wiped out...
Amiga!!
CaroleW.
C Guru

Think water Zen.....

Post by CaroleW. »

Here's a kayaker turned OC and vice versa. It's all good!

The idea is to have fun on the water with new challenges all the time!

No matter what sport or activity your in, there is always a dough-head. Human nature!

Play nice,now. :)

Carole