Knee Pain - Help

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

David Good
Pain Boater

Knee Pain - Help

Post by David Good »

I'm having some problems with the outfitting in my Wheelboy that I’ve never had before in any other boat, and was curious if anyone has any recommendations to resolve the problem. After a few hours of paddling (which typically involves a lot of play boating), the ligaments on the inside of my knees start getting really sore. It’s a rather sharp pain, not the typical ache form kneeling for too long, or having a pedestal to low.

I thought the problem was from having my knee blocks (which I use to keep my knees spread out against the hull) too low causing my knees to get a shear force when I would pull against the thigh straps. Yesterday, I rearranged the blocks so they were against both the upper (shin) and lower (femur) parts of my knee, but I still had the same problem.

I’m now wondering if the source of the problem is my foot/ankle position or angle.

Any input? I’d rather not have to paddle in pain…

Take It Easy,

David
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

I had similar problems with some outfitting on an OC I have. The previous owner was more into C1 and was accustomed to their foot being basically flat underneath them. Instead of toe blocks, the side of the saddle was added on to and then trimmed out to allow the feet to be tucked in to allow a roll.

I trimmed around it, but until I got it cleared out enough that my feet were able to get truly vertical, it would kill my knees. Instead of the typical kneeling pain, it was sharp and on the inside of my knees...guess the angle was the issue. Anyway, same saddle height and I can go 3 or 4 hours with only moderate discomfort now, before the change, standing up was necessary (but painful) after only 30 - 45 minutes of paddling.

Not sure if that is your issue, but thought I would pipe in.
Jim
C Guru

Knees rotate

Post by Jim »

What is the position of your feet/ankles?

I used to get this pain when I used toe blocks. With the toe blocks my tibia rotated laterally (externally) and stressed my medial (inner) knee ligaments.

Yes- the knee is not a straight hinge, there is some rotation that occurs there.

When I point my feet down (the ankles are plantarflexed) so that the tops of my feet rest on the floor of the boat I do not have this problem.

Good luck.
Jim
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

I agree with the other posts about adding ankle blocks. A little bit of outward or inward rotation of your feet will be okay on the knee joint, but you do NOT want a lot of rotation either way. I kneel with my feet flat and have no knee problems but am able to sit there with the feet pointing back.

Hope to C U at the next Spring Armada

KNeal
keez
C Guru

KNeal - feet pointing back

Post by keez »

I started out in and OC-1 with the top of my feet on the hull, toes pointing backwards, however I didn't find you could "load" the outfitting and resorted to the traditional balls of the feet on the toe block.
I now paddle a Spanish Fly and was wondering how the outfitting could be reconfigured to go back to this position.
My old and beat up knees would appreciate it.
Geoff