Zephyr bulkhead pattern/dimensions/pictures

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Zephyr bulkhead pattern/dimensions/pictures

Post by sbroam »

I got a Zephyr in October that was one with the original glue - it had been a demo at the NOC and managed to survive an entire season without any problems. Then a half dozen trips with me, the anchors started to fail... What does that say about me I wonder ?! :lol:

At any rate I am evaluating options here, I'd prefer to put straps back in (with the new glue) but am also considering a bulkhead. I have enough foam to build one and could probably figure it out from scratch, but... Pictures, dimensions, or a pattern might save me some unnecessary floundering around. Anybody?
beereddy
C Guru

Post by beereddy »

Congratulations!
I had the same problem with my Zephyr so I changed straps to bulkhead. For that I used Craig Smerdas instructions http://kayakoutfitting.com/tips/wwcanoe/index.html.
Also insert one more thwart.
Dimensions I took from original Pyranha Prelude outfit

-------------------------------------

One Foot in the Grave?
Paddling on After 50
Last edited by beereddy on Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim P
C Guru

question to a question

Post by Jim P »

Probably you crank things down tight like I do! I have broken a few of Mike yees buckles over the years!

As I consider the Zephyr as a likely next boat, I noticed that NOC ads for the Zephyr now mention Kevlar Drings as the outfitting option. I wonder if Louie or someone from Esquif could chime in on this. I expect they sand the plastic down to expose more fiber for adhesion but would like to know more about the process and how things are holding up. How big a patch do they use for good results etc.
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Not Louie BUT AFTER 80

Post by Wendy »

plus trips ona boat with current adhesive used at Esquif my D rings are in good shape except a 2 x2mm area. Personally, when it fails I will switch to bulkhead to reduce risk of failure ona remote run.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Doh! Was stuck in a particular train of thought - seeing Craig's made sense. Now to make it removable (for emergency exit) and adjustable...

Thanks!
Atucky
CBoats Addict

go with the bulkhead

Post by Atucky »

If you can, go with the bulkhead.

Demo's will always be the strap system because it makes it a versitile boat for different size paddlers. That is the only downfall of the bulkhead system (you're buddies may not be able to borrow it) or maybe that's a good thing :)

The bulkhead system nice and warm, easy to get in and out of, takes up a lot of space where water can't be, and more responsive with head tilts. Probably some other pro's also.

Also, when the twintex starts to fray on the bottom, aparently you can just take a heat gun to it and it will revert back into a nice smooth surface ( I haven't done this but heard from and Esquif rep that it will work) Just don't use too much heat.

AdamT
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

This is the way I see it :

pedestal / thigh straps :

pros - adjustable, lightweight, easily escaped
cons - dependence on anchors (tension), complicated entry (sometimes), no aid in buoyancy

bulkhead -

pros - secured with compression/mechanically (under thwart - no adhesive issues), simple entry/exit, buoyant, warm
cons - not adjustable, possible exit issues in a pin (albeit rare)

My holy grail (well, maybe not "holy", "handy"?) is an adjustable, easily escapable bulkhead. I've got some ideas. I've got some materials. Now if I only had the time... Watch this space...
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

mohawk

Post by ohioboater »

The mohawk saddles are closer to being an adjustable bulkhead than they are a strap system. I set mine and forget about it - jump in and out with no hands needed. Of course, it's still dependent on a big strap being anchored to the hull, so no good for twintex.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: mohawk

Post by sbroam »

ohioboater wrote:The mohawk saddles are closer to being an adjustable bulkhead than they are a strap system. I set mine and forget about it - jump in and out with no hands needed. Of course, it's still dependent on a big strap being anchored to the hull, so no good for twintex.
I'm kind of thinking along those lines, but with the strap anchored at the gunwales - if the idea doesn't pan out, that's where a new thwart will go.
Scott R
C Boater

Re: question to a question

Post by Scott R »

Jim P wrote:As I consider the Zephyr as a likely next boat, I noticed that NOC ads for the Zephyr now mention Kevlar Drings as the outfitting option. I wonder if Louie or someone from Esquif could chime in on this. I expect they sand the plastic down to expose more fiber for adhesion but would like to know more about the process and how things are holding up. How big a patch do they use for good results etc.
I sent an email to Eli to get his take on the D-ring issue, here is what he had to say.
Sorry to hear your d-rings failed. We had this problem with some of the first boats that left the factory. The answer to the problem is a special glue...3M DP8005. I don't think that kevlar versus vinyl really makes much difference.
That is perty much what has been floating around here, to use DP8005 to glue the anchor points/D-Rings down. I am not too exicted about the applicator for DP8005 costing 50 big ones, but you do what ya gota do sometimes.
Jim P
C Guru

DRing attachment

Post by Jim P »

I was actually thinking that the reference to Kevlar was that they were now glassing in the rings. I take it this is not the case that they are "sticking" with DP8005...
Scott R
C Boater

Post by Scott R »

Jim I had the same thing in the back of my head but as you said that does not seem to be the course of action from Eli's responce.
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Kevlar I think was tried early on and failed

Post by Wendy »

There were posts when the boat first came out about trying Kevlar, but it doesn't stick to this composite mix. I had a plastic Prelude with thigh straps where DP8005 was used and they stayed in great as have my straps in the Zephyr.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I still have hopes of getting hooked up with Eli and using the new glue to put in some thigh straps, but I decided to move forward with a bulkhead. After an afternoon spent wasting my time and a big block of foam, I abandoned my "adjustable, escapable bulkhead" dream temporarily. I went ahead and just made a conventional bulkhead :

http://picasaweb.google.com/scott.broam/CanoeOutfitting

It may look a bit angular, but the foam is actually quite squshy (technical term) and is comfy. The nice shiny thwart is a piece of aluminum channel recycled from a sliding glass shower door we removed, the use of which not only gave me a sense of satisfaction but saved me $30+ on the aluminum angle that I almost bought... If anyone knows where to get those "Soft Step" foam aerobics steps, they are the bomb. The ones I've been using a friend has been picking up at yard sales for < $1 each! Not sure what they retail for and googling hasn't turned any up...

There is almost nothing glued to the hull - just a block in from of the slab to keep it from sliding/torquing forward - so a retrofit to straps will be easy. Unless I decide that a bulkhead is better after all... :lol:
Scott R
C Boater

Post by Scott R »

I got my DP8005 in a few days ago and I glued in 6 d-ring patches for the airbags. Usind 6" patches it took about half a tube of glue for each one, 3/4 would have probably been best but I did not have enough so we will see... I have not had the chance to use them besides pulling on them and they seem solid but only time can tell with the Zephyr.