LL Pop conversion?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Erin683
c

LL Pop conversion?

Post by Erin683 »

Hi,
I'm wondering if the Liquid Logic Pop makes a good conversion to C-1. If anyone has paddled one of these are there any drawbacks?

Thanks a bunch!
Erin
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

POP

Post by PAC »

Erin
I was able to borrow both the Pop and the Skip at a feature about a year ago and had fun in both. Also if I remember correctly Eric was in a Pop with us 3 years ago on the Lower G. (and he looked very good in it) so my assuption would be go for it - if the price is right (aka cheap)!!
As for pros and cons - I'll let others provide more details - I think there are a couple team members that visit here so they would know and provide some input.
All I know is that I had fun in them surfing, spinning and just playing on the LY. - even thought they were outfitted with suicide strapping (that scares the heck out of me).
Enjoy.
Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Erin683
c

Thanks

Post by Erin683 »

Hi Paul,
Well after more research I discovered that the Pop is for people in the 160-210 range - I weigh 105...I guess a Skip would be the better of the two.
Thanks for the info!
Erin
jnorto01
C Guru

LL pop weight range

Post by jnorto01 »

Erin, Just remember those weight ranges are for kayakers. We C-boaters have a higher center of gravity which will reduce the effective weight range for a given boat designed as a kayak. I have a wave sport X conversion. It is rated up to around 210lbs or so but I think I am around the limit for this boat as a Cboat at 170lbs. You may still be too light for the pop but this is something to consider. Also consider what you want to do when paddling. Is maximum play what you are after or do you want stability or somewhere in between. Jim
riverright
c

Post by riverright »

hey erin,

I'm currently paddling a converted pop. Been paddling it for a little while now, had it out for a couple of small river trips (class III, little to no play) as well as a dozen or so pool sessions and it did alright. It's my first C1, so I can't really comment on the pros/cons since I have nothing to really compare it to except open boats. Overall I like it a lot.

I find it okay for stability once I got used to it, its pretty easy to throw around in flatwater, at least for me at 185, fairly nimble, speed is decent surfing, probably average compared to most conversions, fairly easy to roll. Like you said, you would probably be better off in a skip if you're interested in playing. I don't find it unstable enough to warrant the larger size for increased stability, but that's a personal opinion. I think you would find the handling of a skip more suited to your liking unless you like a lot of volume.

If you can find a pop/skip cheap, I say go for it. I like mine

brad
CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

Post by CosmikDebris »

Skip and Pop are awesome conversions. You'd be better in a skip, but if you wanted more of a river runner than playboat, the pop would work well. I recommend both boats, and I paddle a skip.
Will
AYockey
C Guru

LiquidLogic RULES

Post by AYockey »

I paddle a converted session and am convinced they are the best conversions around except for big water, they are a little edgy.
"The mark of a successful man is one that has sat at his favorite playspot all day without feeling guilty about it."
-Modified Chinese Proverb
Eric
c

Skip C1

Post by Eric »

Erin,

i weigh 150 -155 lbs and have paddled a Skip conversion for 3 years. A gal in my hometown, Columbus, Ohio, paddles a Skip conversion - she turned me on to the boat. She weighs about 120 lbs. i used the same outfitting method she had used, copied from an NOC cboat instructor. the boat inside is all foam - a foam knee bulkhead, foam wraparound hip grabber, 2 cutouts for nalgene bottles, and an airline seat belt to secure me in good.

I like the boat. At my weight the boat is very slow and balance is very important. that said the boat is very fun to play in. I've paddled with PAC on the Lower Gauley and New rivers when there is some push (3000 - 5000 cfs ) and the boat is stable.

in hydraulics the boat is wonderfully stable and joy to sit in. On fast waves, just forget trying to get out on the surf. Anyhow, for what this boat is designed for, I think it is a good boat. And it should be cheap to buy.

Good luck if you decided to go with a Skip conversion. i can send pictures if needed. i remember that Seth, the young C1er from DC whose a world champ, use to paddle a Pop conversion. i'm sure he would have some thoughts on the Skip/Pop conversions if you contact him.

Eric