2007 Whitewater Junior Olympic Championship

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

TomAnon
C Guru

2007 Whitewater Junior Olympic Championship

Post by TomAnon »

To All,

The 2007 Whitewater Junior Olympic Championship has been announced for the days of 23JUN2007 – 08JUL2007. The main venues are the Golden, CO Whitewater Park and the Confluence Park in Denver, CO. Events as of this writing include:

Slalom
Wildwater
Freestyle
Boatercross
Strong Swimmer

See this link for details:

http://whitewaterracing.org/2007juniorolympics.htm

I cannot say enough good things about this program. The first JO I went to with my sons was in Chilliwack, BC on Tamahi Rapids. It was an unforgettable experience (and we learned some lessons on the Canadian WW ratings...). My sons and I will remember that trip for the rest of our lives.

While we are all bemoaning the fall of C-Boating, here is a chance to do something about it. Go grab your sons, daughters, nephews, nieces, grandchildren, neighbors etc. and get them qualified to attend. Once qualified, something magical happens and all the sudden everyone has to go! Do not let skill, experience, equipment, time, etc. get in your way. Just get it done! I feel confident the race organizers will accommodate any racer who qualifies.

Also, I think somehow this group would have the resources to sponsor a qualifying race or two. Currently there are only four qualifying races: Golden, CO, Durango, CO Reedsville, PA and Brookmont, MD. In addition, a Cboats.net trophy for the top male and female C-Boater and C-2 Team could be organized for very little money to be presented at the awards ceremony. This event is open to all countries. I expect you will see paddlers from at least five nations participating this year. As you can see there are some major geographic gaps for qualifying races.

BTW, I see John Coraor is holding a slalom clinic up north: http://www.kccny.org/0/Racing/SlalomClinic20070526.aspx
This clinic ought to end with a qualifying race!

Should the Lenior thingy have a qualifying race?

Qualification races are to ICF rules as much as possible. They are typically on Class I-II whitewater with maybe a Class III AW (II-III) feature thrown in such as you have on Kishquoquillas Creek in Reedsville, PA. Age groups are as follows: Cub Cadet (11-12), Cadet (13-14), Junior 15-16 and Junior (17-18). You must race in the class for the year upon which you birthday occurs!

The Freestyle competition promises to be big this year with Eric Jackson http://www.jacksonkayaks.com Chairing the Freestyle Competition committee.

Wildwater events are usually well attended and the organizers mention on their website that loaner boats are available.

Please consider participating or at the very least spreading the word. A lot more information can be found at the JO website which is, again:

Are you excited yet? Well this may seal the deal. The COORS brewery is right around the corner from the Golden Whitewater Park.

Thanks for your consideration,

Tom
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Added to the calendar..

Post by PAC »

Tom - I added both to the calendar. Let me know of any changes / updates. Hope some folks can get there for it! Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

I paddled one of the venues for the event two days ago, the Confluence park. ant even with 1/2 normal flow, it is still a blast. they just finished excavating to get all the sediment out, so all the eddies are deep and fast. the Golden site looks awesome too. talking to chris, it appears, that there are already 19 countries being represented for this years JO's. and from my understanding, it isn't hard to get a race to be a JO qualifier. Dave Kurtz, and Chris Weigand are the main guys to talk to.
Prost
-Isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
TomAnon
C Guru

Just posted at JO website, Memorial Day Weekend Qualifier

Post by TomAnon »

This was just posted on the JO website as a JO Qualifier Race:

KCCNY Memorial Day Weekend Slalom Clinic & Race (Kayak & Canoe Club of New York (KCCNY))
Schedule: Course set-up, slalom clinic, and open practice on Sat., May 26 ; Race on Sun., May 27

Difficulty: Class I+ - II- (Abbreviated course of probably 12-15 gates)

Classes: OC-1 Short (13') for men, women, masters (over 39*), and juniors (under 19*); OC-1 Medium (15') for men, women, masters, and juniors; OC-2 (15') for men, women, mixed, masters, cadet/senior, and juniors; C-1 for men, women, masters, juniors, and cadets (under 15*); C-2 for men, women, mixed, cadet/senior, masters, juniors, and cadets, and, K-1 for men, women, masters, juniors, and cadets. Separate REC classes for recreational whitewater boats of any length will be held in each class as required.

NOTE: This is an inclusive race; if you come we'll make a class for you.

Further info can be found at http://www.kccny.com/0/Racing/SlalomClinic20070526.aspx

Race Director- John Coraor

Thanks John! This looks like a great event.
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

Thanks Tom.

We threw this together to take the place of the Memorial Day Weekend Slalom Clinic/Race that Keech and Ann LeClair have run on 10 Mile Creek for years. Unfortunately, construction on the bridge over the race site has cancelled that clinic for this year, so we're trying to pick-up the slack.

John
FRPA1

JO's/ We welcome all classes... YES Cboats are encouraged!

Post by FRPA1 »

a Cboats.net trophy for the top male and female C-Boater and C-2 Team could be organized for very little money to be presented at the awards ceremony.

YES.... I will support a special Cboat.net trophy or award.

There will be many kids.... people in canoes of all sorts here. Here in Colorado we push c-boating, including women and mixed boats.
Come one... come all. We have home stays for everyone coming from out of town.

We will start hosting people in early June for the start of events
June 8-9 Lyons Fest (one of the best play holes in the US)
june 10-17 FibArk (US largest whitewater/outdoors festival)
June 20- July 8 JO/US Cup events and speakers etc.....

We promise to make this a great event for c-boaters

Spread the word!
http://www.whitewaterracing.org
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

I am glad to see this is happening in Colorado. As a Coloradian, I am embarrassed that paddlers around the world are going to paddle in Confluensa park's polluted water for this event. With all of the other cleaner rivers/water options in Colorado, is there no other paddling venue available that meets the requirements for event?
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

the other race is at the Golden park. and i tihnk the confluence is a great site for the fact that it's artificial, and really fun. it seems that there is such a trend toward the artificial courses these days. with 3 of 4 olympic selection races in charlotte, and the other one, I think at wisp, or southbend. but there are better, cleaner sites, but the venue for the confluence is perfect in downtown there.

Prost
-Isaac
Last edited by bearboater on Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
FRPA1

Confluensa?

Post by FRPA1 »

Come on AJ ?!?
The goal for the event is to provide an opportunity to have multiple events at two locations that can handle crowds, participants and other events such as concerts etc.

In working with the Colorado Department of Health, City of Denver Department of Health and many other groups from within the State and City Government, the Platte River quality is better (based on TDML testing done by the CDPHE and DPH) than that of South Bend, The Hooch in Atlanta, St Louis River in Duluth, Wausau and many other rivers around our country in less urban areas than Denver.

Due to a new partnership with the FRPA and the City of Denver as well an action/stakeholders to improve water quality by looking into sources for pollution from upstream users, trash pick-up and redesign of the banks and addition of new features and creation of new conservation efforts and beautification by several loft groups in the newly designed district (see http://whitewaterracing.org/home.htm for info info and updates to some of our redesign and better the Platte)
For people living in Nederland at 9,000ft and other little mountain towns, sure it is hard to see the Platte that is urban. But all around the world (China, Czech, Italy, Germany and many other venues in the world) the Platte is not so bad once removing some of the trash.
Note: There will be a huge Program to Clean the Platte and replant of native trees to the Confluence corridor (including Cherry Creek) on April
sponsored by Keen, REI and Confluence Kayaks (http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f11/ ... 12412.html)

There is a lot going on starting with an event on April 7th to make the Platte River, the best Urban River in the world that will have several miles of improvements and whitewater features, including a lengthened and in-stream adjustable features in Confluence.

Instead of shaking a fist at our urban rivers.... help publicize the river and celebrate our sport during the festival.

For those Coloradans that watch the news and any local TV programming, you will start to see new laws passed for littering and dog park changes, commercials for Save the Platte and many other youth mentoring commercials.

I am proud of the potential we have not to mention that the Front Range of Colorado is on the leading edge of changing our environment and our sport throughout the world.

Come out and be part f something greater for our sport. Celebrate C-boating and the environment with us. We need your help!
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

Chris,

I agree this would be a very cool urban venue for boaters of all abilities. I commend you for your efforts and you are right. If we have any chance of cleaning this up, we have to start somewhere to bring this to everyone's attention.

Hopefully, your work and this event will improve the South Platte (SP) water quality and visibility in the community. I hope Denverites and Front Rangers will see and appreciate the value of a clean urban SP running through town for everyone's enjoyment.

I am not a worldly paddler or a racer, so I have no idea about other urban river/venues their water quality in comparison to the SP in Denver. All as I know is that I have paddled SP twice below Chatfield Res. Once around Brighton, when I was first learning 7 years ago or so. I told myself this is really gross and would never go back. Then about 3 years ago, I ran below Chatfield Res down to Union Street (above the whitewater park). After that paddle, I again was grossed out and promised myself that I would never do it again.

I hope SP's water quality has gotten better over the last three years? Heck, I would love to paddle down there, but I really could not let myself, unless the water quality has gotten better.

We have a hard enough time trying to keep Boulder Creek clean of trash with all of the partying picnickers, tubers, and bums along it's banks. And I am also ashamed to say that Nederland's inadequate town septic doesn't help BC's water quality. Hopefully, Nederland and City of Boulder will get off their butts and get this fixed ASAP.

Chris, you are a great ambassador for the sport. I hope your efforts and this event carry over to a cleaner SP for all of our sake. Maybe, this can be a model for other unban river corridors?

If I am in town and my schedule permits, I would be willing to help after work some evening or maybe a day on the weekend. I would like to see the improvements, revisit the venue and watch some of the events.

Cheers,
FRPA1

JO Reminder....

Post by FRPA1 »

First of all... Thank you AJ for your willingness to also take part in the awareness campaign here in the Denver area, yes this includes Boulder Creek and the Clear Creek Corridors. Whether t is mine acid run off issues to trash and urban drainage issues.

Just to clarify..........
Denver Confluence events are Downriver, Boater Cross and Super Sprint Slalom (US Cup) from June 30-July 1

Golden Events will be Downriver Sprint, Freestyle and Junior Olympic/US Cup Champs from July 4-July 7

There will be a special Fireworks celebration, music and many speakers ranging from Olympic Medalists to Mt Everest Summit Experts. Leadership, Collaboration an self motivation in life through sport will be the common theme.
Adults and Youth are focused on equally.

Come Join US!
http://www.whitewaterracing.org/2007juniorolympics.htm
Al Greve
C Guru

Post by Al Greve »

A couple questions.... is this an open canoe slalom? The junior class... do 12 old girls have to compete with 19 year old boys? Is there a Junior girls class? Is there design restrictions on the junior boats?
TomAnon
C Guru

Post by TomAnon »

Good question Al

From what I have read there will be classes for OC1, by age group and sex. Jr 17-18, Jr. 15-16. Cadet 13-14 and Cub Cadet 11-12. There has always been resistance to combining classes for the JOs. They have been pretty fair in that regard unlike other events.

There are design restrictions for the boats in the decked categories for K1, C1 and C2. I think the Cub Cadet category will allow Rec boats.

For specifics check this website:

http://whitewaterracing.org/documents/JOClassEntry.pdf

I, as do many others, feel that if a person is the only one to make it to the JOs for that class, then they are deserving of the same recognition regardless of the ability. I understand combining classes in other races; but, this is one that it should not happen in.

So, grab your prospective racer and get her/him qualified!

Remember, qulaifying in one boat/class/event will allow you to compete in any JO event.

Also, there is a huge need for more qualifying races. It easy to set one up even it is a freestyle or downriver event.
Last edited by TomAnon on Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Al Greve
C Guru

Post by Al Greve »

Also to qualify is there ant qualifing event in Ontario, Such as the Gull Open Canoe Slalom Race?
TomAnon
C Guru

Post by TomAnon »

Al,

I will forward your question to Dave Kurtz. Also, Chris Weigand may respond directly if he reads your message.

It is very easy to set a race up as a qualifier. Surf around the JO website for specifics. The website is:

Then chase down the Gull River race organizers and talk them into making it a JO Qualifier. If you want, send me the link to the race organizers and I will chase them down for you.

There is a qualifier race that is somewhat near you on the Housatonic River in CT. I know John Coraor will help you out any way he can.

http://www.kccny.com/0/Racing/SlalomClinic20070526.aspx

The Kish race in Reedsville, PA is a bit further away.

Thanks for your consideration,

Tom