Check out these great OC1 instruction sequences from the New

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Check out these great OC1 instruction sequences from the New

Post by boatbuster »

sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Excellent! I can't wait to get back in my boat!
Jim P
C Guru

Oh my - Thats me

Post by Jim P »

I did not know he posted this on BT :o Nice pics - I was slackin, did not move far enough to the right & got whacked. At least it ended upright.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Nice picture - horrible discriptions....please don't imitate poor Jim

He's trying and he thinks it's all good. Forget the keep the boat straight instructions, such a sure way to stay full all day. Forget the top hand over the head bracing, this is a dislocation stroke for sure. Learn a stay in "the box" style of bracing, even in a canoe. Remember to keep shoulders turned toward the paddle. Of course Jim knows this, he was just posing for the camera. I'm sure that somewhere along the way, he turned his shoulders parallel to the side. At the very least when bracing. Forget the upstream bracing, a little cross-draw would be nice here. A little brace, a little weight transfer, and "oh my" no roll. Of course a what fun would that be! And I'm also sure that in those other pictures, the ones that didn't makes the show. That in those pictures Jim had his paddle vertical, you know with his top hand outside of the gunwhales. A good place to start would be with the next low brace.
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Very nice pics. Thanks for sharing them. They brought back memories of me doing basically the same moves in the same place at Lower Keeneys when I open boated. I can still recall where those holes are. They're kinda placed where you THINK you've already made your crux move. You learn your lesson and move farther right next time (just not too far right too soon because of the hole near the top :o )

KNeal
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
MikeSawyer
c

I heard I was posted over here. :)

Post by MikeSawyer »

So I had to register and reply.

As you may have guessed, I'm not really a C-boater. Bad knees. I got my first kayak because of knee surgery. I still have a couple of canoes and I try to use them now and then, but just can't kneel.

Anyway, thanks for the comments. I didn't start out to do that, it just sort of happened. If there are any egregious errors I'll fix them. My target audience was some of my fishing buddies and it got cross posted.

Jim, thanks for being a good sport.

Sawyer