Kids in TN

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ohioboater
CBoats Addict

Kids in TN

Post by ohioboater »

For those of you coming to the TN thingy with kids in tow, when do you plan to be there? And how old are your kids?
Louie

Mine are

Post by Louie »

25, 18, 10, 5 but they all live here.
Gail R
Pain Boater

Post by Gail R »

Hi Ohio,

My hubby and I are taking our two girls down. Yongest is 8 (OC-1)
and the eldest is 10 (K-1). We are staying offsite but will hook up with other families as I'm sure our partner family is eager as well (Al and Liz) (their kids girls 10 (OC-1) and 13 (OC-1)
Speaking of which, Liz, if you aren't boating, drop me a line, I don't have to boat more than a couple times so I open to options,
our march break is March 10 to 17th...so we plan to start the drive Friday afternoon on the 9th
Hey any irish stuff going on seeing as it's St Paddy's on the 17th (besides drinking :lol: )
I've got a couple irish dancers if there's a party. I'll pack their shoes
Cheers
Al Greve
C Guru

Post by Al Greve »

Yep our girls are 10 & 12 and they'll both be paddling their Splash OC1.
Chris S.
c

What's a Splash OC! and where

Post by Chris S. »

can I get one for my 5 and 7 yo? :)
I googled it and came up with a bunch of outrigger canoes.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Ah, search CBoats:)

http://www.cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic. ... ght=splash

For one of many posts. I'm not sure why it isn't appearing in the boat files at the moment (the file folder is there) - I'll look in to it tonight.
Keep the C!
Adam
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

dancing and such

Post by ohioboater »

Gail R wrote: Hey any irish stuff going on seeing as it's St Paddy's on the 17th (besides drinking :lol: )
I've got a couple irish dancers if there's a party. I'll pack their shoes
Cheers
I've got lots of Irish stuff going on, unfortunately it's up here. I've got gigs all weekend of the 17th as well as one on the 10th. If I come, with our without kids, it would be during the week most likely. If it works out, I'll be sure to pack the flute. Oh yeah, the kids are 6 and 3.

http://www.boysofthehock.com/
Gail R
Pain Boater

Post by Gail R »

Perfect Ohio, we are there for the entire week.
Is your 6 year old trying the splash if they come with you? Won't know what rivers we will be doing but we hope to hook up with all you nice folks in Lenoir after we settle in with the Greve's...
I'm really looking forward to the whole shin dig.
Really enjoyed the West river release in Vermont so I imagine this open boat thingy is going to be a blast. You Americans sure do know how to put toghether great paddling get togethers!
Slanite!
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

6 yr old

Post by ohioboater »

I'd love to let her try out the Splash, especially if she can see other kids doing it. I'm not sure how well she'll do, though, since she's just beginning to hit the age where complex physical tasks are easily learned. If it were just me and her, she'd get frustrated and quit after the second time the boat spun out and wouldn't go where she wanted it to go. But if there are other kids and adults around, she's a much more motivated learner. Guess she's a pretty normal kid in that respect :).

Now the trick is to figure out if I can get any time away from work. Our spring break is the following week, so it'll be dicey.
Gail R
Pain Boater

Post by Gail R »

we've had kids as young as 5 paddling ours in flatwater independently...and as young as 2 sitting and playing with the boat and mom/dad
you'll be suprised, they can get the boat going once they get a feel for where the pivot point is.... Al's kids and mine will be there and it's something to watch kids share information......... they get that "girl tribe" thing going....boys however are compititiion :lol:
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Dang! I wish I could bring my kids, but their spring break is in April! :-( I'll take lots of notes all the same. I've had each of our kids in canoes as early as 6 months or so (able to sit up), but starting out on ponds - never too early to get them used to the feel of a boat.
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Can't get my daughter to try OC

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

I ruined it and started her in a POD. I should turn myself into DEFACS. I feel like I have failed as a parent. Some day I hope to have grandkids another chance for redemption.