Cedar River

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

bearboater
CBoats Addict

Cedar River

Post by bearboater »

okay, so the race is in 2 weeks, I am going to be training there for most of this week, and all of the week of the race. if there are any other washingtonians who want to come out and paddle some gates let me know. there are also the workouts at the arb gates at 6:00 i believe on tues/thurs.
because it's way more fun to not have to do your own splits.
Skaal
-Isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

I'll take that as a no.
Prost
-Isaac
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Well, I'd been toying with the idea of going down for the Cedar race with my Outrage and my class II skills, but now that I know people train for weeks :o No way!

Actually, this race date doesn't work for me, but I would like to check out an easy race in the PNW sometime, perhaps the Nooksack at the end of the season.

Good luck at the Cedar! Let us know how it was.

Speciifcally, I'd be interested to know whether there were any frightened, talentless paddlers in rec boats, and whether the events are tolerant of that.

Thanks, PY.
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

yeah, we tolerate everything. it is a really chill course, I am only training, becuase I have high hopes for this year, and I love training. but my friend, and 2 other people will be racing OC-1's. you should come. I will do an OC-2 run as well, it's a great thing if you can. also there is a new race this year on the clackamas river in oregon that is supposed to be pretty chill as well. Hope to see you there!!
Prost
-Isaac
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I can't make this one, but I am trying to talk these races up among my friends/club, although in the PNW there doesn't seem to be much overlap between slalom and open boating.

Here's the link for others in the neighbourhood:

http://www.nwwhitewater.org/2007/Cedar07.htm

PY.
Alan B
Pain Boater

Post by Alan B »

I'll second what Isaac said...The Cedar race is a great early season, low key race where us open boaters are made to feel welcome. I live in Montana and have been to the Cedar race 4 of the last 5 years. OC turnout varies from 3 or 4 to 8 or 10. Try for next year if you can't make it this time. Some really good OC friends went to the Nooksack a few years ago and thought it was not open boat friendly. But I would suggest the Salmon la Sac, June 2 & 3, and as Isaac mentioned, the Clackamas, August 24, 25 & 26. I have been to the Salmon la Sac a few times also and it is a great open boat course. The site has great camping right there.
One more related plug... the Open Canoe Slalom Nationals are going to be in Wausau, WI on July 20, 21 & 22. I have been attending Nats.
6 of the last 8 years and it is a GREAT time! It is a very supportive group and other than the travel expenses, the absolute best $40+ whitewater canoe clinic you will ever do. The Wausau course is a repeat from 2003 and is one of my favorite of the 6 sites. I hope you will consider it and/or pass this suggestion on to ALL the open boaters you know, in B.C. and beyond. Have a great season.
Alan
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Well, how was the Cedar?

Any highlights would be appreciated - especially with respect to the participation of hack OC-1 rec boaters.

Thanks, Pat.
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

the cedar wen't well, I had a terribly unfortunate 50 on my first run due to a completely blown move. second run went much better, except I still had a touch. if I hadn't fiftied, I would have been 4 seconds ahead of third, but isn't that always the story. I unfortunately didn't see any of the runs, as I was timing for the first half of the day. so I can't say, but Alan will likely post soon on the cedar.
Skaal
-Isaac
Alan B
Pain Boater

Post by Alan B »

3 OC-1's and 3 OC-2's.... and I am certain WE had the best time! Just kidding. It was a fun course, good turnout, warm/dry weather, and good folks. Hope to see you at the Salmon la Sac in June or the Cedar next year.
squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Post by squeakyknee »

Sounded like fun, too bad it's a 3000 mile trip for me. I have friends in Olympia so maybe I'll get out that way sometime
Shawn
Amiga!!
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

shawn, I am heading over to your side for trials, and to train. come on, some awesome class 2 gates. that's worth the drive alone. almost. but if you do ever head out, let me know, I live up in B-ham, and there are a few great paddlers in the area.
cheers
-isaac
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I'd still like to go a try a race, but I'd be "fiftying" all over, if I was upright. So, I gotta say, making the road trip and embarrassing myself in front of a bunch of glass-boaters isn't very inspiring when there are only about 3 other open-boaters to meet.

I'm hoping for a more festive/supportive/large community of open-boaters who have no knowledge or aspiration of being real racers - I'm jealous of the open-boat slalom they have in Ontario.

I guess my showing up could only help the cause though - one more rec boater would increase participation by 30%! I'll continue my search for partners in crime to test out an appropriate race.

PY.
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

well, there is Tim Marks who paddles OC, and c-1, there are a couple of us in bellingham. and we don't laugh, i paddled OC at the race last year, had a few 50's, it's just a totally different beast. I am nervous as a c-1er, there were only 3 of us, so the OC croud was as large as we were. you have to try to find out.
Skaal
-isaac