squashed xxx

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

nam
C Guru

squashed xxx

Post by nam »

I am thinking of squashing my xxx that is sitting there in my backyard. What is the method and where would you squish it? Thanks.

I weight 165.

nam
squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Post by squeakyknee »

To squash my Z I used a couple of 2x6's and bar clamps. I started by heating the deck and edges with a heat gun then got impatient with it and used a torch. I gradually clamped it and used 2 sets on each sides alternating to be able to keep applying more pressure.
Some of the old scholers from what I understand would drive their car tires onto the decks from the end after heating and leave it parked there for awhile... :lol:
I've compressed the Z about 4 inches so far in front and behind the cockpit rim about a foot off of it. the ends have gone from 3 inches down to about 1.5 inches.
the goal for me is to get it as flat as I possibly can without destroying the shape of the bottom. I would suggest starting at the ends and working towards the rim gradually and stop when you get the shape you want.
P.S. this will widen the boat a bit where you smash it.
Shawn
Amiga!!
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Nam
Take the pillars out and then stand on the bow and stern and run a heatgun or hair dryer along the outside edges. Make sure to get the plastic hot enough to reshape but not enough to break down. The trick there is to keep the heat source moving about and not at one point for too long. If the plastic starts to change its appearance (glassy shine) then lay off the heat in that area.

Take your time - and it will take some time - and have a vision of what you want.

For my xxx the deck and hull were concaved, in both the bow and stern, along with dropping the overall volume. I'll suggest that you try not to modify the plaining area under the seat - but that is your call.

Overall it was pretty darn easy but we have done this on a number of boats. The boat is really twitchy now and the stern like to drop out on you in flow but its a hoot once you dial into it.

PM if you have any questions. I'm sure others have done this too and can add additional insight.

Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Hi, Nam. I guess I am just reiterating Squeaky and PAC about the patience part. You GOTTA take your time when heating the plastic so you do not melt it. Also remember that whereever you change the shape/volume of the boat, there is going to be a change somewhere else in the boat. I learnt this with my Atom. Also, there are other ways to heat the plastic that I haven't seen posted yet (e.g. using boiling hot water).

What I did with my Atom was to pull the stern pillar out and cut the shape down to how I wanted the stern to look, then put the pillar back in. I also used a blowtorch, but with a flame spreader attachment, and kept a towel and a bucket of cold water handy to lay on the deck and cool it down when ready. After taking a LOOOOONNNGG time to heat the stern deck, I pressed the deck down by hand and using the wet towel. After going through this process a couple of times, I am very pleased with the decreased volume in the stern. A result of the squashing was the stern curled up some to compensate for the change in shape. IMPO, the shape change improved the handling of the boat. The edges of the Atom are quite thick and did not really change with the squashing. Stern squirts still need work to engage, but once up, you can stall it longer. 8)

I think SBroam used the "drive-over" method on his Slasher, but that is his story to tell. :D

Have fun with it, Nam.

KNeal
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I have used the driver over method with some success - one thing that was not so successful was cutting the wall down when gluing it in in with the intent that the depressed deck would stay *down*. What happened instead was that the bottom came *up* a little distorting the hull on the bottom some. Not great, not terrible. But that is a long boat and when crushed gets a little floppy. I did get the strangest looks from the neighbors...

I also reduced a Whiplash, which is more like this Z project. I went with slow, gradual heat - I took out the walls and resculpted them, then put an old hot air popcorn popper in the boat with a towel draped over the cockpit to trap the heat. I took some boards and cam straps to compress the boat to the desired shape. It would retain the shape for 6 months or so before it needed a refresher. I guess the advantage to this was that I was never afraid I was going to melt it or set it on fire!
nam
C Guru

gentlemen

Post by nam »

thanks for the great info. The xxx has realy flat side, on the hips so what do you do with that. Should you bend that too (if that is possible) so that you have a wider boat? From the look of the bottom i dont see it can go wider becuase of the two keels on the sides.

thanks
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

xxx

Post by PAC »

You can just push it out more to reduce the volume but at your weight you might want to leave some volume there ( :wink: ). Only super light 14 year old kids with major mojo take all the volume out of the thing.
If you have it dropped a tad then you should be good to go. Put it back together and go play. If you like it as is - Yipee! If not take some more out. Like I said I like to concave the deck and hull but that is up to you.
The XXX's plastic should hold the re-shape (memory) pretty good so don't worry about that.
Overall is sounds like your ready for some real cartwheeling fun! Keep us posted! Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

Post by CosmikDebris »

PAC, you still have the XXX I sold you a few years ago, black and green?
Will
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

xxx

Post by PAC »

Will
Yes...I still have it! :D Minus 1/3 of its volume! I love that little boat and its a favorite for low flow rocky runs when I want to get that squirt feeling in a plastic boat! Thanks for the sale! 8)
Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator