Advice on solo open boat

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ezwater
C Maven

Advice on solo open boat

Post by ezwater »

I want a really light solo open boat with decent cruising speed and good, slalomish handling. Have considered a Millbrook Hooter and possibly a composite Shaman. I think the Zephyr is going to be too short for easy cruising and attainment, though until I try one I can't be sure.

Are there other composite boats I should consider? I have not seen any Royalex or plastic boat light enough.
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

You might consider other Millbrook slalom OC-1s besides the Hooter. The Defiant is an older slalom boat, somewhat wider than the Hooter, but good for cruising. The Reaktor and Ignitor are both narrower and more recent slalom designs (the Ignitor is the current state-of-the-art). I see them cruising on rivers and they are certainly very fast. The 24" width isn't for everyone, but as you already paddle a slalom C-1, it may not be too twitchy for you.

If you want to consider ABS or plastic, you might take a look at the Esquif Spark. It's a shortened Ignitor with an inch more width and handles like a slalom boat. At 35 lbs. it's not as light as composite, but not that bad for ABS.

John
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I tried a Millbrook Defiant and really liked it. I think you can spec a lighter layup if you want.

For Royalex, well Royalite actually, have you tried a Spark? At OC Nationals they were weighing them as some came under the weight for the rec vs race limit. The Esquif site says 35# which is still higher than the advertised weights for Kaz's composite boats.
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

And don't forget the Millbrook Rhumba - a shorter version of the Defiant. Good combination of forward speed and turning. Probably a bit faster than the Spark in a straight line.

If you want to save the big bucks, my prototype Cobra (35lbs) is available. :roll: Not pretty (or dry), but the fastest straight-line slalom boat ever.

I guarantee it. 8)
Bob P
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Bob P wrote:my prototype Cobra (35lbs) is available.
WOW :o where else would you get the chance to own a prototype than here? I'll bet the Cobra is fun.
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Here's the Millbrook layup of the Cobra final version. The prototype was dark blue, with a little less flare in the front.

Bob P
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Feedback to some suggestions: My attraction to the Millbrook Hooter was that its design is broadly similar to my Dagger Zealot and Millbrook Wide Ride, below the water line. The Ignitor and Spark are an entirely new approach, and without having tried one of them, I'm not sure I would want to do routine cruising in such a hull. I am used to a bow that is narrow and grabs eddies, and a broad stern that planes the boat up on attainments.

The Defiant is interesting and possibly better for routine cruising than the Hooter, but it has the same designer as the Wide Ride. My Wide Ride is wide, and relatively flat, but it does not have as much initial stability as my Zealot. So, unless I get a chance to try a Defiant, I would be leary of plunking down money.

I would be interested in the views of anyone who has paddled a Hooter.

Bob P, the Cobra looks rather deadly for a tall, heavy paddler..... like an Edge. Not sure I need a boat that can skunk me when I am not paying attention in class 2. The Cobra is similar to the Amoeba and the ancestral whatever-it-was.
old and in the way
C Guru

Post by old and in the way »

I have owned a hooter for quite some time now. I find it fairly stable and dry, yet responsive. I have raced slalom in this boat and it is not as fast as the current slalom designs, but it works well in my book.

i think a hooter is great for all around use - river running and some slalom.
Oci-One Kanubi
C Guru

Contact Chris Kelly and ask him about ....

Post by Oci-One Kanubi »

... the glass Rival he recently got from Millbrook.
-Richard, His Kanubic Travesty
--
Nothing really matters except Boats, Sex, and Rock'n'Roll
c1swim
CBoats Addict

reference

Post by c1swim »

Startrek reference, Does that make me a dork, too?
dance for rain
Oci-One Kanubi
C Guru

Post by Oci-One Kanubi »

> Startrek reference, Does that make me a dork, too?

O dear, and I thought I was being subtle. So, you figgered out that Chris Kelly is a Tribble?
-Richard, His Kanubic Travesty
--
Nothing really matters except Boats, Sex, and Rock'n'Roll
dafriend
C Guru

About the Spark

Post by dafriend »

I'm not sure I would want to do routine cruising in such a hull. I am used to a bow that is narrow and grabs eddies, and a broad stern that planes the boat up on attainments.
I have a Spark that I use for routine crusing in addition to slalom racing. It is great fun in either situation. Looking for dynamic eddy turns? The Spark will provide. It accelerates like a rocket which comes in handy for attainments. The Spark attains better than any composite open boat I've been in.

It will front, back and side surf too.

It is only a couple (three? four?) pounds heavier than the Zephyr but is much more responsive. On the water the Zephyr feels heavier than the Spark to me.

It is not going to be as forgiving as a Zephyr or as durable.

You really ought to take one out for a test drive before you dismiss it as an option. Try it, you'll like it.

Dave