OC-1 Test Paddle

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

awelch
Pain Boater

OC-1 Test Paddle

Post by awelch »

I am a new paddler in the Dahlonega, GA area and I am having a heck of a time finding a WW Canoe to Demo. I want to buy my first WW Canoe and I don't want to go and put down a bunch of money on a boat when I have never paddled a WW Canoe. I missed the esquif demo at The Outside World because I had to move; my wife thought that was more important. :lol:

I am wondering if there is anyone out there relatively close (-2 hrs) that has an an Outrage X, Prodigy X, Blast, Vertige, Probe 12, or Shaman that would be willing to meet me at a river to test paddle. Not nessecarily looking to take a full run; just paddle around at the put-in for a few minutes.

Thanks for any suggestions or help with this.
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Give Cory a shout at the outside world

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

The group that he usually paddles with has a great assortment of boats. All the guys are very friendly and fun to paddle with. They are on the water most every weekend.

What you thinking of paddling this week Cory?
Give me a call

Trey
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
greybear
C Guru

Post by greybear »

Try a Nitro or Zephyr. I have a Nitro it is a great boat stable forgiving, surfs great and has gotten me through stuff I should have swam, I love my boat I also hear the Zephyr is great and even more foregiving.
awelch
Pain Boater

Zephyr or Nitro

Post by awelch »

I think I would be too big for a boat under 12'. I am 6'-0" wieghing around 250. I have been working hard to shed a few pounds. Mid-winter I was at 280+. I have been watching and reading everything I can and the people paddling zephyers seem to be at least around 30 lbs lighter than me at the top end as well as being seasoned paddlers. I will paddle a big boat for a few seasons and then maybe look into something a little smaller. Although the weight of the zephyr does make it very attractive.
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

Stop your whining RUNT. I am 6'7" and 260. I currently paddle an Encore but the other weekend at the demo that the OUTSIDE WORLD put on I tried a Nitro. This boat felt pretty good. Right now it is my next boat. Give one a try.
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
awelch
Pain Boater

Nitro

Post by awelch »

Well, how can I argue with that? I know they have a nitro to demo at NOC. If I head up there I will definitely try it.
greybear
C Guru

Post by greybear »

I'll be there this weekend with my Nitro if you want to give it a spin, look for the one with some red paint in spots on the bottom and some crazed out wacko with googles thats me. I have a friend who is 230lbs and he paddles a Nitro no problem, they made this boat with big boys in mind. Bigger boats are nice but smaller boats will help you improve an keep your interested, plus one can catch all the eddies a kayaker can and them some.
noobopenboater
Pain Boater

Post by noobopenboater »

Noc also has a prodigy x that you should be able to demo. I saw it there a couple weeks ago.
Oci-One Kanubi
C Guru

Be SURE to try that Prodigy X

Post by Oci-One Kanubi »

My Prodigy X is the best of the (at least) 13 whitewater canoes I have owned in the last 15 years.

It is stable, fast, maneuverable, and dry (as long as you keep the open end up).

The combination of "fast" and "stable" is truly a godsend for a beginning whitewater canoeist, because with a fast boat it is so much easier to manage the fundamental maneuvers you must learn.
-Richard, His Kanubic Travesty
--
Nothing really matters except Boats, Sex, and Rock'n'Roll
oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

greybear

Post by oc1paddlr »

that you flying squirrel, heading to the nantie? Can't do it this w/e, but give me a heads up on other times your heading that way. Still ain't trad'n my boat for your ..nevermind-you're a hoot. It would be great to get as many "fest" boaters together through the year to pal-up and have a singlesticker gathering of old and new friends
paddlr
red boat ready
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

demo

Post by billcanoes »

I'll be at the lower green this weekend/ sunday with my son and have a Zephyr you could use for the whole trip - it should actually be close to being able to fit you- as the bulkhead is shaved heavily

Bill