does anyone make "high volume" C1s anymore?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

parasight
c

does anyone make "high volume" C1s anymore?

Post by parasight »

my dad still has a 1974 old town decked canoe (barrigan?) that he's redone the underside of a few times from late 70s/early 80s tennesee whitewater..

he's now in his 60s, and wanted something similar to paddle solo.. his wife is less than half his weight, so any attempt to use the old boat looks like a seesaw going downriver.. they both have kayaks now, but he wants to get back to his roots.

he tells me that years ago it was pretty easy to find such a thing, but he hasnt turned up anything in recent years.. can these be found used at all? does anyone make a closed C1 with a lot of interior space?

thanks in advance, people!
ClassFive Boats
C Guru

Post by ClassFive Boats »

How about an old Perception Sage? Basically a plastic Hahn. Huge Boat!
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Millbrook...

Check out Millbrook (one of our sponsors!) - The Wide Ride might be a good option, or if they want to go old school the Modified Czech. You never know...Kaz might have the Berrigan mold still;)

I don't know if he has a Hahn mold, but I know PS Composites does (link under Paddling Links).

If you contact either one please let them know you heard about them from CBoats.net:)
Keep the C!
Adam
QuicoReed
C Boater

Check out this killer C2!

Post by QuicoReed »

I thought this really looked cool. If I could get my wife to paddle whitewater with me i'd buy it.

If your dad is only looking for a C1, it won'twork. BUt it looks like a great c2 for tripping. The Advert says "Old Town Canoe C2", doesn't give a design name.

http://www.oregonriversports.com/retail.html

[img]http://www.oregonriversports.com/img/Canoe3.jpg[/img]
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

well... :D it isn't "exactly" a C1... but I can gaurantee it's going to be more comfortable for him.
http://www.cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic.php?t=5494
I don't enjoy having numbness in my legs that much anymore at the end of the day. :wink:
jim gross
CBoats Addict

C-1

Post by jim gross »

I seem to remember seeing an old Blackwater C-1 for sale recently on this board JIM
mshelton
CBoats Addict

Post by mshelton »

Isn't the Amoeba pretty high in volume?
parasight
c

Re: Check out this killer C2!

Post by parasight »

QuicoReed wrote:If your dad is only looking for a C1, it won'twork. BUt it looks like a great c2 for tripping. The Advert says "Old Town Canoe C2", doesn't give a design name.
that is exactly the boat he still has.. his is blue/white, and if I'm not mistaken, he still has the skirts and float bags for his also.

I remember paddling that boat when I was about 8 years old.. and I know for a fact that I rode in the center of that boat on river trips before I could read.

are there any pictures of a perception sage? I couldnt find any, and the boats section of the site wasnt working for me (application errors?)..
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I'm with Sir Adam. Millbrook is the source, and Kaz has the goods. Considering the history of the person in question, I would recommend either the Czech or the modified Hahn. I have a Wide Ride, but I don't like it as well as I like my Zealot.
LHTC1
c

Boat in photo is a Berrigan

Post by LHTC1 »

Named for John Berry and Ned Harrigan, his old C-2 partner. In it's day (60's) the first incarnation didn't have the center cockpit. By the early 70's a lot of C-2's were paddling end-hole slalom boats for river running. John described them as "pregnant surfboards". The Berrigan was faster, more directionally stable and had the center cockpit for storage (especially useful for an overniter). It never was terribly popular though. - Lee
ezwater
C Maven

Perception Sage, and Hahn

Post by ezwater »

The Perception Sage was just a bad plastic imitation of a Hahn. I owned both, and except for the occasional repair, the Hahn was the superior boat.

If anyone ever found a Sage "in the flesh," don't kick the tires!! My Sage started cracking up underneath after five years of moderate use, and Perception said that was within the normal range for their plastic of the time.

Anyone who wants a fresh Hahn at a reasonable price and low weight can get it from Kaz at Millbrook.
ClassFive Boats
C Guru

Post by ClassFive Boats »

I disagree . The Sage was good in its day and has done rivers like Grand Canyon . As long as the plastic is neutral color (whiteish color meaning no pigment was used ) , it was a durable boat as long its kept inside. It doesnt paddle that diffrent form a Hahn either. However it may be very hard to find one in good conditin. I used on e in the 80's I Little River Canyon Alabama a lot.. Of course I wouldnt do it today! :lol: Good luck
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I have a nice photo of me finishing Bottleneck in a Sage. A "neutral" sage, that began cracking up (in spite of shady storage) at five years. It was heavier than my Hahn ( that Hahn being a multi-glass layup), it spun worse than my Hahn, it edged worse than my Hahn, and because of the lack of stiffness of the poly shell, it was more susceptible to a catastrophic pin than my Hahn.

As a friend said, trying to sell me his Atlantis, "Try it out, son. You'll throw rocks at your Sage."

I can see some rational reasons for buying a (light, damage-resistant) Millbrook Hahn, but if I found a Sage in a time capsule, I would cut it up (as I did my own Sage) and place it out for the trash men.
parasight
c

Post by parasight »

I forwarded some millbrook info along to my dad, he's checking it all out.. thanks again for the help everyone, I hope to have him back up off his butt (the right way) sometime soon.
parasight
c

Post by parasight »

update:

he decided he didnt like the way his perception kayak worked, so this is his new setup.

ordered a new seat for the thing, he's working on hatch covers, but those are the original ones.