What is the best shoe??

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

cbcboat
CBoats Addict

What is the best shoe??

Post by cbcboat »

I am looking for the 'ultimate' shoe for boating in. I need something that will work for OC, C-1 and K-1(SHHH!). I have size 12 feet and have been wearing just neoprene socks in the decked boats but really need to have a shoe with some support for hiking/portaging etc. What are yalls thoughts on footwear?
Thanks,
B
mshelton
CBoats Addict

Post by mshelton »

I use the NRS rodeo socks and tuck a pair of old Tevas under my air bags in case I have to walk over a 1/4 mile.
i r a p|r@t3

yeaaaaaaaarrrrggg
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

My favorite for a very flexible boot that still has some tread for bushwacking is the Acona booty. They are the only booties that don't scare me silly when I wedge myself into my C1 race boat.

They've got high-tops too.
Last edited by Bob P on Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob P
NateOC
Pain Boater

Post by NateOC »

I have a pair of the NRS Rodeo Socks, which I use in my C-1, but I find they aren't too comfortable in my OC1 when I use the foot pegs, so in it I typically use the NRS "Paddle Wetshoes" shoes. If for some reason I don't use my foot pegs, I just use the rodeo socks for both boats.

It looks like the Desperado shoe or sock might be a medium between the two shoes of mine. Maybe one of those would be what you are looking for.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp? ... eptid=1169

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp? ... eptid=1168
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

brandon,
you can try my rodeo shoe from NRS if you want, I think they are in the garage amidst a pile of gear that I havent put away from the winters travels. but if you stopped by, or called my house, and told them you were looking for my booties, they would know, and I think they would know where they are.
-isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

i've got a pair of these....latest and greatest..
http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/23123998/c/86563.html
i wore them exactly once. they are very good and solid for walking. traction on wet cali granite is just ok. not as good as 510 or some others. AND< they are too big for me, so i'd let you ( or anyone else) have 'em for cheap. i'll send them to you if you want. just send 'em back if you don't like 'em.

size 11.5 (seem to run big)
Larry
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

Larry,
How much would you want for them?
Thanks,
B
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I paddle both open boat and C-1 with my foot flat on the floor - my ideal shoe has :

*just enough sole to protect my feet from stones (too thick and stiff and my feet cramp)
*a low profile heel to get easily out of my tighter c-1s
*a durable upper (I wear the tops out due to my foot position)
*a "sandproof" upper (sand in between shoe and foot = ouch)

For summer - "add lightweight / ventilated".

Nike's Aquasocks were as close to perfect as I ever found and I wore out 4-5 pairs before I couldn't find them any more.

Sandals are terrible for me, I end up grinding the tops of my feet off with trapped sand.

For winter I have a pair of NRS Cross 4 Wet Shoes. They have been working very well for several years, though in my playboat the heel is a little troublesome. Since I can't find Aquasocks any more, I think I am going to try NRS's Kickers again - the rubber rand does not cover as much as I like, but some Aquaseal / Goop should fix that.
LEW
C Guru

Post by LEW »

NRS Kickers work well in all the boats I paddle, even squirts. They have pretty good protection for such a low profile shoe. They might not meet Scott's sandproof requirement though. :-?

These look pretty strange, but they may actually be a good idea.
http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/produc ... -grey.html

LEW
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

The thing with the Fivefingers things is you can't wear a sock in there. Drysuits w/booties need a shoe to go over the booty for protection. Thanks for all of the opinions gang, I'll have to keep doing some looking.
Thanks,
B
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

LEW wrote:NRS Kickers work well in all the boats I paddle, even squirts. They have pretty good protection for such a low profile shoe. They might not meet Scott's sandproof requirement though. :-?

These look pretty strange, but they may actually be a good idea.
http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/produc ... -grey.html

LEW
The 4-5 pairs of Aquasocks had variously a tight mesh, a thin neoprene like material, and a combination of the two - the sandproofness was not perfect, but exceeded the $10 "K-Mart watershoes" by a lot.

The last time I had an NRS shoe like a kicker, it had no rand at all so it wore it quickly, but was adequately sandproof until then. They did come off in a swim in Frank Bells (the home of the "deep swim" - French Broad Section 9), but I was lucky that I didn't lose *all* of my clothes in that swim!
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

nrs desperado

Post by billcanoes »

light sole - very flexible- can hike 3 miles in them with only mild blisterring
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

cbcboat,
i dunno...40 bucks? they have only been worn once so they still have that new car smell.
Larry
oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

booties

Post by oc1paddlr »

I sport some 20 year old Deep Sea. Havin said that, my new boat/outfitting has them slip'n toe first under the yak foot brace on my new UFO ped. Lookin at the NRS paddling boot(4551) but still wonder why my toes dive under . i'll investigate
paddlr
red boat ready
Li'l D
C Boater

Post by Li'l D »

I tried a pair of these on. They feel weird at first but after a little while they feel like you are barefoot with rubber protection on your soles.
They are machine washable too.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.html