Canoe rack for an apartment

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

RyanGarnett
Pain Boater

Canoe rack for an apartment

Post by RyanGarnett »

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has a design or knows of a product out there that I can use to put my Esquif Detonator (10 feet long) up in my apartment.

Thanks!
pdown2
C Guru

Post by pdown2 »

Yup, it ain't pretty but it works all the same. Go to HomeDepot/Lowes and buy 4 screw in hooks & 2 ratchet straps or if that is too ugly for you buy some 2x4 and build a rack to go over the couch/futon. I had to do this a couple of years ago, the second came after the first....which lead the way to the wife saying "Just go get a storage unit and get the $#^&% boat out of the apartment!".
mshelton
CBoats Addict

Post by mshelton »

Have you thought about putting some kind of pulley system in and hanging it from the ceiling?
i r a p|r@t3

yeaaaaaaaarrrrggg
RyanGarnett
Pain Boater

Post by RyanGarnett »

Thanks guys....no wife or girlfriend, so I don't have to with that....I have thought about the ceiling thing, but if you saw my apartment you would understand why I am not going to do it ;-) I saw a unit from Yakima (pricey, but will work well). http://www.yakima.com/Product.aspx?id=128
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Ideas -

- Fill it with bean bags and call it a new sort of couch *
- Add a couple of sheets of plywood, a few screws, and, voila, a new coffee table
- Use it to replace your laundry baskets
- Hot tub!

* an aside - I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen a bean bag chair in the last two years, but this weekend I saw 4 in use on motor boats. Two were in use on "john boats" and the other two were being carried off of cabin cruiser type boats by kids. It made me wonder how well they float...
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

The Yakima is a nice looking system. You can build about the same thing with galvanized gas pipe and fittings off the rack at home depot. Send me a pm with your e-mail and I can send you some photos.

Trey
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
Deb R
C Boater

Post by Deb R »

sbroam wrote:Ideas -

-* an aside - I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen a bean bag chair in the last two years, but this weekend I saw 4 in use on motor boats. Two were in use on "john boats" and the other two were being carried off of cabin cruiser type boats by kids. It made me wonder how well they float...

I bet they float really well. The last time I saw a leaky "bean" bag chair, it was stuffed with tiny styrofoam beads. That would bring tubing to a whole new level of comfort!

Deb
Open Gate
C Guru

Post by Open Gate »

Take a look at this www.hoister.com works great for me and my 9 boats in my garage :roll: Yes I can still park my car in there...
HIPPOSTAN
C Boater

Post by HIPPOSTAN »

Hey Ryan,
I do engineering in Tasmania and I reckon the Yakima shelves look strong, neat and tidy.
Although you could go down to your local engineering workshop and get someone to come and measure and custom make exactly what you want and where you want it to go.
I would like to see a picture of how you solved your problem.
All the best
cheers
Hippostan
parasight
c

Post by parasight »

I keep mine in the hallway.. and its more than 10 feet.

of course, some mornings I wake up and walk right into it, which makes me think its in the way.
RyanGarnett
Pain Boater

Post by RyanGarnett »

Hi All,
Thanks for you all your help, even the bean bag chair ;-) I did some snooping around and found the Yakima system on sale at REI, its 50% off and all the accessories are like $20 (regular $90). So for the price and ease, I decided to go this route. I really appreciate all your help and great ideas.

Thanks again,
Ryan