C-boaters in Utah?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

debzvt
c

C-boaters in Utah?

Post by debzvt »

Any Utah c-boaters out there? I'm considering a move to Utah, and I am curious what the whitewater is like there, and how far of a drive will be required to get on some nice class II & III. I'm also curious about the duration of the season, and if the water is too big for me to be comfortable in an open canoe.

I did find some information on the Utah whitewater club, but I didn't see a single canoe in the trip pics.
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

I don't live in Utah but have done some paddling there. Where would you move to? The Weber in Provo has a little whitewater park. Utah has some of the best river tripping rivers out there also. I think most of the runs dry up fairly early in the summer. The Snake river out of Jackson, WY is only a couple of hours for Salt Lake and runs nearly year round.
debzvt
c

Salt Lake

Post by debzvt »

We're thinking Salt Lake, because we both enjoy skiing, ice climbing, rock climbing, and whitewater paddling. I've posted to a Utah whitewater message board, and it sounds like there isn't much local to Salt Lake, but everything is 10 hour drive or less to get to the paddling of California, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado.

My favorite runs in the northeast are best described as low volume, low grade (class II-III), creeky runs. I wonder if I'll be able to find those in the interior west, or if it's all big water. I currently paddle OC-1, but I'm wondering if such a move would require I change over to C-1 in order to be comfortable on bigger water. Anyone know if lower volume class II-III water can be found in the interior west?
jim gross
CBoats Addict

Utah WW

Post by jim gross »

A woman i met visiting here paddles a Rival in Utah dude. JIM
Aric
Pain Boater

utah

Post by Aric »

I'm in CO not Utah, but ther is a new guidebook that covers both states avaiable at http://www.wolverinepublishing.com/whitewater.html

hope it helps and good luck with the move

Aric