Middle Fork Salmon, ID

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

abbeysroadhome
c

August on the MSF

Post by abbeysroadhome »

I have put in at Boundary Creek in August as low as 1.6. 1st few miles is scrapey, but not terrible. All of my trips have been self supported. 1.6 was tandem in a Dimension. It's worth the trip & effort, the scenery & experience is incrediable. After Indian Creek the water volume has increased significantly. Use good water reading skills & it isn't a problem. Don't pay attention & you will be high & dry.

I am putting in on 8/15 & plan on going tandem. Not worried at all. Probably be 1.6 again! Not complaining.

George
boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Heidi, by all means go

Post by boatbuster »

We launched at Boundary Creek in late July a few years ago at just about 2 feet. It was great. Only one of our five support rafts got stuck once on the first day, and it was smooth sailing from there. I have friends that have run it at 1.5 and still had a good time. The saying is true, don't go for the whitewater or you will be disappointed (at least late season) Go for the whole Middle Fork experience. There is nothing like it. You will be descending through every major ecosystem in the Rocky Mountains. I'm envious.
Carol
C Guru

August MFS trip

Post by Carol »

This my first reply, so hope it is done correctly....
Am wondering how your trip went at the low flows.

Thank you,

Carol
Heidi
Pain Boater

Hi Carol welcome aboard

Post by Heidi »

Middle Fork of the Salmon Trip August 8-14, 2007. Synopsis: Wake up among the pines alongside a beautiful wilderness river and go play, goodtimes….

The Wild and Scenic Middle Fork of the Salmon River in Idaho is situated in the Frank Church-River of No Return Wilderness, accessed by private boaters by permit obtained via a lottery system. Our group was a fine mix of old and new friends some related, coming from Idaho, Montana, Washington, Connecticut and New York, 7 women, 4 men, 1 Cataraft, 2 OC1, 3 Rafts, 4 Duckies.

At the time I googled some resources on 8/23 there were three Wildland fires spanning 45,000 acres affecting the river corridor and causing the close of the Middle Fork of the Salmon beginning August 15, the day after we got off. The main fire in that area the Red Bluff fire was started by lightening on July 17th. As the Red Bluff and the other area Wildland fires were naturally caused, the fire is allowed to burn its natural course with little action towards containing it; fire fighting and suppression efforts are primarily directed at structure preservation, setting backfires and bucket drops. I read a report that said fire embers the size of basketballs were being carried a ¼ of a mile by the winds. Last report I read said the Red Bluff fire was 0% contained, but bucket drops had stalled its progression.

Idaho is now in its seventh year of drought. The six days we were on the river we had only one shower. Someone said it was caused by the high ash content in the air; the air becomes so heavy with ash it precipitates. General guess, the day temps averaged 80 ish, most evenings dropped into low 60's. We slept under a starry canopy the first three nights, but due to the low hanging smoke clouds we rarely saw a star after the 11th. The night of the 11th we sat around our little candle (fires not allowed) and over the deep blue silhouette of the canyon hills, reaching into the sky was the prominent salmon glow of the expanding Red Bluff fire.

Ash dotted our sleeping bags in the mornings, irritated the nasal passages and eyes. While the haze of the smoke did obscure the definition of the dramatic rocky crags and hillside beauty, I don't want to make it sound like it ruined the trip; it would have been a prettier without it, but the river was always fun. Sad to think of all the charred acres of stumps that will be the scenery for years to come, but nature will unfold a new beauty. If it's any consolation for those whose trips were cancelled, beyond the major safety concerns of fire on both sides of the river, falling trees and boulders careening down hillsides into camps, etc., I was glad to get out of the smoke-filled air, by the time we got to the Flying B Ranch it was pretty thick.

From the US Forest Service August 15, 2007:
The Forest Service has closed the Middle Fork Salmon River between Boundary Creek
and Camas Creek indefinitely because of the Red Bluff Fire. The fire burned rapidly
down to the river Sunday afternoon forcing several boat parties to move their camps
downstream to safety at the mouth of Loon Creek. The fire continues to burn on both
sides of the river for about nine miles between Cougar Creek and Loon Creek and is
expected to spread upstream and downstream. There are additional closures in place for
the areas surrounding the Middle Fork above Camas Creek.
“Floating the Middle Fork is a world class trip that people may have to wait years for a
permit. We understand that, but the risks of having someone seriously injured have
become too great to keep the river open,” said Salmon-Challis National Forest Supervisor
Bill Wood. The lower Middle Fork remains open for shorter trips from the Bernard Guard Station and airstrip down to the take-out point at Cache Bar. However, dense smoke has and
could prohibit the use of the airstrip there or at the Flying B Ranch.

Some journal excerpts:
Pre-launch - A smokey haze filters the sun. The truck kicks up a trail of dust, it is a sub-alpine desert, but everything looks so dry. A desolate camp of many nylon pup tents, used to shelter the firefighters, flap in the breeze. We pass a ranger manning a closed road to the Main Fork of the Salmon closed prior due to the fires. Locals on the trip say the growing season is at least a month ahead of normal. Blueberries were done a month ago. Animals are fleeing the fires and we have been cautioned about increased bear activity along the river.

During the trip, we had only one known bear visit to camp in the middle of the night. Guys and gals sleeping on a tarp, guy opens his eyes to see a bear snout over his head. A chorus of whoops and hollers, bear hightails it. We kept a clean kitchen, hung the food and trash and were mindful that bears like things like sunscreen, deodorant, toothpaste and soap.

The level was 1.5, I think that equates to around 500 cfs. There was plenty of water, at least by my standard of a NE creek run. Canoes and duckies had no problem, the going-light rafts did have to do a little dragging before we got to Indian Creek where the flow picks up and never once did we see a sweep boat stranded on the shallows.

The scenery was indeed beautiful and everyday the river offered up one fun rapid after another. I don't think that anything at that level equalled a class 4, but there were a few raps that made the measure of a 3+, at least by open boat standards. I also would like to point out AW’s minimums when it comes to the Middle Fork of the Salmon are best taken with a large dose of skepticism, I bet 300 cfs is plenty doable in the right boat.

Thanks to all of you who replied to this post. Was indeed a great trip. ~ Heidi
Carol
C Guru

MF trip report

Post by Carol »

Heidi,

Thank you so much for your trip report, I really enjoyed reading it.

We launched a couple days before you did, but didn't have the smoke issues, although we did have one late afternoon of ash. I'm glad you still had a wonderful trip.

It's a beautiful river, and we brought home great memories too.

Carol